DEFENDING Division One champions Richmond Turf put themselves right back in the title race with a hard-fought 2-1 home win over leaders Great Broughton Hibs last Sunday.

Kevin Wilson gave the Hibs a half-time advantage with a fine free kick but Turf hit back in fine style in the second half, although it was not until the introduction of substitute Kalumn Holbrook on the hour that they seized the initiative.

Martin Butterworth equalised 20 minutes from time after good work from Sam Bainbridge, before Lee White then grabbed what could prove to be a very important winner ten minutes later, turning home a goal-bound flick from Stephen Butterworth.

Although Turf still trail new leaders Northallerton Police by 11 points they have a game in hand and now appear to be finding the sort of form that has earned them three consecutive titles.

Colburn Town made it two wins in a row with a 3-1 home victory over fellow strugglers Spotted Dog. Stu Murray gave Colburn a half-time lead and although Mark Swanwick headed home a cross from Scott Healey to bring the Dog level soon after the restart, Murray completed his hattrick in the last 20 minutes to move Colburn out of the bottom three.

In Division Two, leaders Nags Head United remain the team to beat after a 4-1 home victory over Osmotherley FC.

Mike Stimson and John Bell gave Nags a comfortable halftime advantage, but Ossy put themselves right back into it with a goal from Craig Hutton on the hour. However, the leaders finished strongly and Bell scored twice in the last ten minutes to complete his hattrick and give his team another three points.

Brompton-on-Swale are in the promotion mix after a 4-2 win at County Arms.

Justice Vundula headed home a corner from James Mc- Donnell to give the visitors an early lead and although County equalised before the break, Brompton sealed the points with goals from Chris Pickersgill, Andy Robertson and substitute Justin Singleton.

The hosts grabbed a late consolation from the penalty spot but it was Brompton who moved into the top four.

Blue Star and Travaux FC will both be hoping to figure in the promotion race come May and they shared six goals.

Sean Taylorson gave Blue Star an early lead but Kieran French soon had the hosts level, only for David James to restore the Star advantage just before the break.

Travaux then looked to have won it when Pete Hurry scored a brace of headers in the second period, but Shaun Charlton grabbed a point for the visitors five minutes from time.

Henleys met fellow Division Two side Appleton Wiske in the delayed League Challenge Cup first round tie and won 2-1 with goals in each half from Nathan Clarke and Chris Garbutt.

Bar One are enjoying a great season in Division Three and they remain unbeaten after a 4-2 win at league new boys Farmers Arms. The match was all over as a contest within eight minutes as a brace from Paul Humphreys and a strike from Dean Hill gave the visitors a 3-0 advantage.

Although Farmers did briefly rally, any hope of a comeback was over when Humphreys completed his hat-trick on the half hour as Bar One eased to another three points.

Osmotherley Rangers got their first win of the season with a 4-0 home victory over Northern Dons, who are still waiting for theirs.

Adam Jackman headed the hosts into an early lead which Marcus Pearson doubled before the break, while Jackman and Lewis Burgess then sealed the points in the second half.

Knayton FC’s new sponsor Peter Grainger, of PR & N Grainger – Bench Joiner & Cabinet Maker of Aiskew, Bedale, was at their match against Topcliffe for the club’s team photo session.

Mr Grainger, who in one form or another has been involved with football most of his life, was on hand to see Knayton win 9-1, Chris Cowton and Martin Kendall both hitting hat-tricks, Dan Easton a brace and James Clark also on target.

A Chris Bumby penalty was all previously unbeaten Topcliffe could muster in reply on a day to forget for them.