Northallerton Town 5 Whitehaven 3

THE goals flowed at the RGPS Stadium as Northallerton Town put their recent poor run of league defeats behind them.

They came back from going an earl goal down to beat visiting Whitehaven 5-3 in this allaction STL Northern League Division Two fixture which was a credit to both sides.

This was only Town’s second league success of the season, but they are playing some attractive, attacking football and with more performances like this they will surely move up the table.

Town made a good start and went close to taking the lead in the seventh minute when a Peter Bulmer left-wing cross was met by Neil Tarrant, who hit a fierce drive from the edge of the area which just cleared the bar.

However, Town were caught on the break as Whitehaven took the lead in the tenth minute through Kevin Connelly who, following a right-wing cross, forced the ball home at the far post when he reacted first to pounce on a loose ball after Town keeper Stephen Craggs had made a good low save with an outstretched leg to deny Leigh Dunn.

Town hit back in great style and after going close in the 12th minute, when a Tarrant header, following a Bulmer right-wing corner, was cleared off the line by defender Graeme Lilley, they drew level in the 15th minute with a brilliantlyworked goal.

A left-wing throw-in by Wayne Hall was aimed at Tarrant, but the former Aston Villa man dummied the ball, leaving Martin Butterworth in the clear. The Town skipper then played a perfect pass through to Stuart Hardy who, after beating one defender, fired home.

A minute later, Town were in front when a superb 20-yard drive from the impressive Bulmer was tipped on to the bar by Fryer, but the alert Darren Mowbray was in the right spot to head the rebound home.

Town continued to press and they went close in the 25th minute through Bulmer, who made a great run down the left before cutting across the face of goal and hitting a curling shot that the keeper did well to turn away for a corner.

Then, in the 31st minute, a Bulmer left-wing cross was met by Butterworth, whose low shot beat Fryer, but Adam Johnston was correctly positioned to clear off the line.

Town’s pressure brought its reward in the 38th minute as they increased their lead when a superb lob over keeper Fryer from the edge of the area from Tarrant dipped just under the bar.

But the Cumbrians reduced the deficit right on the stroke of half-time when Town full-back Grant Hickman was penalised for a push on Leigh Dunn in the area and Connelly made no mistake as he blasted the penalty kick past keeper Craggs.

Town made a good start to the second half and they restored their two-goal advantage in the 53rd minute with a gift of a goal.

There appeared to be no danger as Butterworth played a low ball into the six-yard box from deep out on the left wing, but keeper Fryer failed to collect, leaving youngster Wayne Hall free to score his first ever Town goal with a simple tap in.

But again the visitors came back and they pulled it back to 4-3 in the 59th minute through Stuart Shaw who, from a good position in front of goal, fired through a ruck of players to beat Craggs.

However, Town weren’t to be denied and they added their fifth in this entertaining game, in the 61st minute through Mowbrey, who picked the ball up 40 yards out and advanced to the edge of the area before hitting a great drive into the bottom right-hand corner.

Town are at home again tomorrow when Darlington RA are the visitors.