LAST Saturday saw the first round of the Medals Shield and shocks were in very short supply.

Overnight league leaders Richmond Town Academy made it through to the quarterfinals as expected with a 16-0 thrashing of bottom side Hawes B. Dan Briody and Chris Pickersgill both struck five times, while Ben Hook hit a hat-trick as Town dominated from start to finish. Tom Sweeney, Abdulie Tunkara and Marshall Thorogood were also on target to complete the rout.

Leyburn United are also through after a 10-1 romp at Askrigg United. Glyn Barnard struck four times while full back Stuart Gall got forward to great effect with a hat-trick of headers.

Lee Fawcett was on target twice while an own goal brought up double figures for Leyburn, with George Handley grabbing the hosts’ consolation.

There was a thrilling tie at Hawes United, where visitors Spennithorne and Harmby won 4-3. In a lively opening, a Lee Shaw penalty and a strike from Liam Reeves put Spenni two up inside ten minutes and although Jonathon Champion reduced the arrears, James Stanard made it 3-1 with less than 15 minutes on the clock.

Champion scored again just before the break to keep Hawes’ hopes alive but Reeves grabbed his second soon after the restart to regain the initiative for Spenni.

Martin Allen set up a thrilling finale when he headed a third for Hawes with more than 20 minutes still to play, but Spenni held on to clinch their quarterfinal place.

Unicorn FC are also through after a 3-2 home victory over Carperby Rovers.

The sides had met in the league the previous week with Rovers winning 3-2, but this was Unicorn’s turn for revenge.

Goals from Chris Duckett and Dale Middleton put them in control by the break and when Duckett added his second early in the second half the tie looked all over.

But John Sunter reduced the arrears 15 minutes from time and Dave Moore then put them right back in it eight minutes later, but it was too late and Unicorn went through.

In the league, Colburn Town went back to the top with a 6-1 win at Reeth. Early goals from Steve Bradley and Craig Welsh set the visitors on their way, while top scorer Stu Murray added another hat-trick to take his tally for the season to 22, with Ricky Lennan completing the scoring. John Williams was on target for Reeth.

Buck Inn Broncos got themselves back in the title race as a thrilling comeback saw them beat rivals Richmond Mavericks 4-3. A Scott Fenney goal for the Mavericks separated the sides at the break while further efforts from Jaycie Hall and Kevin Atkinson gave them a 3-1 lead by the hour mark.

But Phil Stirling, who had earlier made it 1-1, began the comeback with his second, Nick Armstong and Anth Weighall then ensuring the Broncos of all three points.