Bedale AFC Reserves 2 Hampsthwaite United 5

BEDALE hosted Hampsthwaite United in the Colin Lowe Memorial Premier Division, and manager Dave Proud had a full squad of 16 players to select from – not including himself as he elected to manage the team with a non-playing role.

Hampsthwaite took the lead on 4’ through James Watson who scored from ten yards. Bedale equalised on 10’ when Alex Sands was put through down the right wing by Michael Ingram. His cross was met by Ross Hodgson, who neatly tucked his shot from ten yards into the far corner of the Hampsthwaite net.

Hampsthwaite hit back and regained the lead on 18’ when Alex Myers scored after some good interplay by the Hampsthwaite players. Bedale hit back with Hodgson having the ball in the back of the Hampsthwaite goal only to be ruled offside by the referee. On 31’ Bedale made four substitutions with Colin Anderson, Jonathan Burn, Josh Fullarton and Al Beaty coming on for Jonny Saving, Will McWhinney, Sam McNaughton and Joe Tosh.

Five minutes later Bedale equalised when Beaty passed to Anderson on the halfway line. He hit a fine through ball into the inside right channel, which Callum Fletcher ran on to and lobbed the advancing Chris Nelson in the Hampsthwaite goal from 30 yards. Half time 2-2. Ryan Moule replaced Alex Sands.

On 54’ Bedale conceded a penalty when Ingram was adjudged to have fouled a Hampsthwaite player in the Bedale penalty area. Ricky Schofield in the Bedale goal produced a fine save from Watson’s penalty kick to keep the scores level. On 60’ Saving and McWhinney returned to the field replacing Hodgson and Jack Jennings. Three minutes later Schofield produced a brilliant save to keep his goal intact.

On 70’ Hodgson returned to the field to replace Nick Armstrong. Five minutes later Hampsthwaite were awarded a corner which the Bedale defence failed to clear. The loose ball fell to Simon Swales ten yards from goal and he scored with a fine shot. Sands returned to the field to replace Ingram. Bedale pressed for the equaliser, however, the Hampsthwaite defence held firm. On 82’ Hampsthwaite broke out from defence quickly and Dan Coupland ran through to make it 4-2.

Bedale hit back and were caught on the break again, deep into injury time, when Watson ran through and scored his second of the game with a fine shot. Watson was Hampsthwaite's man of the match with Callum Fletcher taking it for Bedale. This was another disappointing result for Bedale as again they matched their opponents, however, were caught on the break for the last two goals.

Bedale AFC Reserves next game is at home to Bardsey FC in the Colin Lowe Memorial Premier Division of the Harrogate & District Association Football League on Saturday, May 1, kick off 2.30pm.