AMOTHERBY and Swinton, newcomers to the second division of the Beckett Football League, reached the quarter finals in the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup on Saturday with a 4-3 away win at York Civil Service.

The home side play in the second division of York and District League, and their goals were scored by John Towse (two), Josh Singleton, and an own goal, with 'keeper Martyn Woodliffe named man of the match.

Former league side Lealholm visited Whitby Town’s Turnbull ground to play Whitby Fishermen's Society – both teams play in the first division of the North Riding League, with Lealholm seventh and Fishermen eighth, so a close game was expected.

Lealholm started really well and were on top, scoring about 15 minutes in when Billy Welford turned the ball in after a fumbled corner. Fishermen then grew into the game and started seeing more of the ball but Lealholm did well to go on and get the next goal about 25 minutes into the first half through some good work from Will Stewart-Cross, who played in Brad Lewis to score from the angle across goal.

In the second half, Lealholm created a few more chances and could have had a couple more, while Fishermen started to get some momentum in the last 20 minutes, but Lealholm defended very well and held on for the clean sheet. Lealholm’s man of the match was centre back Welford.

There were only a few friendly games played this week, Heslerton were well beaten 4-0 at home by Scarborough League outfit Goalsports.

Kirkbymoorside Reserves entertained Bagby and Balk in a thrilling 2-2 draw. The Moorsiders player/manager was missing on a scouting mission, and the sides were very evenly balanced. Kirbymoorside took the lead, running through the centre of the park, with some good interchanging of passes on the edge of the 18 yard area before Oli Magson scored, the ball tucked neatly into the corner of Shane Bell's goal.

Bagby equalised through Mark Taylforth's bullet header from a great Dave Cocks' corner.

With Bagby interchanging their five subs regularly it slowed the game down, although they did pick up three injuries. However Bagby took the lead from a cross-come-shot from new player Alan Cheshire. Kirbymoorside had good chances with three 20-yard free kicks that went narrowly over, and also hit the bar. A fantastic move from Bagby involving five players ended up with Reece Windle rounding the 'keeper but the regular marksman took one too many touches and hit the post, and a corner 20 minutes from time saw Kirbymoorside equalise with a Paul Downes goal. It was very even the last 20 minutes with both defences remaining solid.

Man of the match for the Moorsiders was Oli Magson.

Ryedale Sports Club are still busy training on Tuesdays at 6m and Saturdays at 11am.

Kirkdale played host to Rosedale on a glorious afternoon of sunshine, the hosts certainly started the brightest with a lot of the best work coming from the right hand side, with good link up play from young Thomas Hepton and James Watson.

The final ball was certainly lacking for Kirkdale and although the dominant side, they were struggling to get that final pass right. It was only a matter of time before Rosedale started putting their stamp on the fixture with a handful of chances coming at once. This led to the first goal, a rocket right into the top left corner by Tom Bell giving Carter-Campbell no chance.

Kirkdale responded well and took control of the game and eventually gained the chance they had been looking for, a penalty awarded for an ill timed challenge in the box. Usual spot-kick taker Glen Forrester handed the ball to in-form winger Nico Butler, however he failed to convert.

Not long after, Rosedale piled on the pressure and Kirkdale looked tired and leggy and were misplacing passes all over the field, however a quick counter from Thomas Hepton and Rob Galtrey got them up the field and won themselves a second penalty for handball on the goal line. This time it was Paul White who stood up and he slotted home for 1-1 at half time.

The second half began strongly with both sides playing end to end football. Kirkdale had now opted for two men upfront and were causing problems. A shot across the box from Dan Ward looked goal bound but the Rosedale defender thought he had it covered – unaware that Kirkdale number nine Galtrey was diving in to knock man and ball into the back of the net for 2-1.

Rosedale again put balls into the box causing trouble for the Kirkdale defence, and a poor clearing header from Sean Murray left the ball teed up nicely for Rosedale striker Vinny Dawson to smash the ball in for 2-2.

Not long after another centre kick, Kirkdale mounted together the best passing move of the game which ended with Galtrey out-foxing the 'keeper to make it 3-2.

A late formation change totally unsettled Kirkdale and Rosedale took advantage of this, Vinny Dawson levelling the scores to leave it 3-3 at full time.

Man of the match winners were Rob Galtrey and Dean Hagland (Kirkdale Utd), while left back Charlie Read won the Rosedale award.