North Riding Sunday Challenge Cup – Round 2

OUT of the four Hillsprint Hambleton Football Combination teams left in the cup, only The Potting Shed progressed to round three. They hosted Teesside Central and won 5-1. Shed took the lead on 20’ with a thunderbolt of a shot from 20 yards by Rob Bell. They scored a second on 35’ when, in a goal mouth melee, the ball hit Henry Hewitson and it somehow ended up in the Teesside Central net. On 60’ Dan Rafiq made it 3-0 when he ran on to a ball over the top from Scott Montgomery and beat the advancing goal keeper. Rafiq scored his second on 80’ and completed his hat trick on 90’ when he scored from close range from a pass by Craig Dickson. Teesside Central had scored a goal after 75’. AFC Nags Head hosted AFC Acklam, who won 4-2. Ben Wood gave Nags the lead after 9’. Acklam equalised after 25’. Nags regained the lead after 38’ courtesy of an own goal by Acklam. In the second half Acklam scored a further three goals to take them into round three. Black Swan, Bedale visited Redcar Town Under 23 Royals and lost 3-1. Nathan Clarke gave Swan the lead on 20’. Royals equalised just before half time. Royals scored a further two goals in the second half to reach round three. Durham Ox, Northallerton, hosted The Valley, Scarborough and lost 4-0.

In division one, second placed Romanby visited sixth placed Stokesley Wanderers and won 4-0. Aaron Ramsbottom gave Romanby the lead after 5’. Dan Caisley doubled the score on 20’. In the second half Caisley scored his second after 50’ and Ramsbottom scored his second after 60’ to complete the scoring and consolidate Romanby's second position in the table. The Brompton Academy v Cowtons and Broughton & Kirby Hibs v Catterick Village games were postponed due to players isolating regarding Covid-19. The Sessay Cricket Club v Ripon City game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In division two, top of the table Robert Thompson's visited Knayton and won 6-0. The game was switched to Knayton as Robert Thompson’s pitch at Dalton was unfit due to midweek heavy rain. Louis Benoit gave Thompson’s a 1-0 half time lead. Thompson's went on to score another five goals in the second half through an Ollie Spence brace and further goals from Liam Cook, Callum Manson, and Josh Duffield.

Second placed Broughton and Kirby Hibernians Reserves hosted fifth placed Streetlam Farmers and drew 2-2. After a goalless first half Tom Chapman gave Streetlam the lead after 50’ from the penalty spot. Streetlam's Tom Barley had been fouled in the Broughton penalty area. Ten minutes later Chapman scored a fine 25-yard free kick to put his side 2-0 up. With five minutes remaining Broughton's Harry Johnson reduced the arrears. Three minutes later Jay Christie scored the equaliser to give his side a share of the points. Broughton remain in second place in the league with Streetlam moving up to third position.

In division three, third placed Catterick Garrison Football Centre hosted Catterick Rovers who were looking for their first league win. In this local derby, Rovers scored three times in the first half through Liam Leinster, Jack Rushby and Oliver Reynolds. Garrison pulled a goal back after 49’ but the Rovers defence held firm to give them their first win of the season. Fourth-placed Leeming United hosted fifth-placed Oddies WMC, Northallerton and won 4-1. Lee Sellar gave Leeming the lead after 14’. Lewis Lumley doubled their score after 20’. Colby Swales reduced the arrears for Oddies on 44’ from the penalty spot. Lee Terrington put Leeming 3-1 up after 60’ and Lumley scored his second goal of the game on 72’ to complete the scoring. The win moves Leeming United up to third in the table. Kirklington visited Katch at Northallerton Leisure Centre and won 3-2 in a close game. Adam Western gave Kirklington the lead on 22’. Rabar Amin equalised for Katch on 44’. Chris Timmons put Kirklington ahead on 46’ playing against his old club. Andrew Osgood equalised for Katch on 59’. Guy Keeble put Kirklington ahead on 67’. This proved to be the winner and it takes Kirklington up to fifth in the league table.

  • The league is now paused due to the government's second lockdown.