AFTER drawing 2-2 in midweek at home to West Auckland FC, Northallerton Town were on the road on Saturday on Wearside to play Ryhope RCA in a league game, but went down to a 3-0 defeat.

Town attacked from the off, and Mickey Rae dribbled upfield before playing ball to Luke Blythway, who found James Risborough. He centred to Andrew Shepherd, who got in a good header, then Cieran Jackson had a shot which was blocked.

Matt Crust found Mickey Rae who hit a glorious cross field ball which skidded off the pitch.

Luke Blythway headed on a goal kick from Tom Dawson, but it ran away from Nat Stephenson. Stephen Cheeseman prompted the attack and gave Nat Stephenson a shooting chance, which was blocked. Andrew Shepherd cleared then after a neat bit of play involving Mickey Rae, Nat Stephenson and Cieran Jackson, against the run of play Ryhope opened the scoring in the 24th minute.

Dylan Elliott dribbled across the edge of the area and then rifled in a shot from fully 25 yards, past Tom Dawson.

Town were very much in the game as the teams broke for half time, and there were no changes to any personnel as the teams kicked off the second half, Town now having the advantage of the slope.

James Risborough found Cieran Jackson, who in turn found Mickey Rae but the move broke down. Dan Jones fed Mickey Rae who found Cieran Jackson but defender was too strong.

Nat Stephenson and Mickey Rae tried to create an opportunity for John Howard but it just went out of play. Town had Ryhope on the ropes at this stage. Cieran Jackson turned a defender before Nat Stephenson had a shot which was blocked. Matt Crust was spraying balls about the park and just failed to find John Howard.

In the 69th minute Ryhope scored a second goal through Stephen Callen.

Town were trying to play their football and good approach work involving Matt Crust and Nat Stephenson created a chance for Mickey Rae, who pulled his shot just wide of an upright. Stephen Cheeseman was brought down late by a defender who was cautioned. The free kick by Matt Crust went just over the bar. A long-distance shot from Nat Stephenson was easily saved by the 'keeper. Andrew Shepherd was defending solidly, but it was not enough to prevent a third Ryhope goal in the 86th minute through Henry Darward.

The scoreline would have been worse, had Tom Dawson not saved a 90th minute spot-kick from Dylan Elliott.

Full time Ryhope RCA 3 Northallerton Town 0


Sunderland Ryhope RCA: Robert Dean, Dane Buriace, Tony Callaghan, Brad Forster, Greg Seansbury (c), Tom Best, Ryan Leonard, Dylan Elliott, Nat O’Neill, James Fairley and Steve Callen. Subs: Henry Darward, Keith Marrs, Ben Errington and Jim Armstrong.

Northallerton Town: Tom Dawson, Stephen Cheeseman, Dan Jones, Matt Crust, Andrew Shepherd, Luke Blythway, Cieran Jackson, John Howard, Mickey Rae (c), Nat Stephenson and James Risborough. Subs: Tom Marron, Joe Martin, Anthony Snook and Kieran Ezard.

Referee: David Hulme