SATURDAY’S match was the second game in a row in which managerless Guisborough failed to score, although the score line generously flattered Whitley Bay’s efforts.

It was always going to be hard from the onset in this mid-table clash, as two first-team players, Brian Close and Sonni Coleman, were both missing through suspension, and Guisborough started the game without an out-and-out centre forward, opting to play winger Mason McNeill as a lone striker.

The first half was surprisingly quiet, although an early yellow card to Whitley Bay spurred Guisborough into action for a few spells. Club captain Mark Robinson used his years of experience to pull off two brilliant blocks, the first sliding in front of the ball and the second standing his ground to block the rebound.

Aaron Steavens was very busy in the Guisborough goal, and he pulled off a good save 24 minutes in, preventing Whitley Bay sending one into the top corner. The remainder of the first half was played in the midfield, with both teams feeding off scraps, but Guisborough’s makeshift back five managed to hold their own until the break, with the score level at 0-0.

Guisborough’s first substitution at the beginning of the second half saw Harry Thompson replaced by Charlie Marshall, and shortly after, Mason McNeill’s left footed strike flew across the Whitley Bay goal to no avail. The first goal of the game came just after the hour mark, with Whitley Bay captain Craig McFarlane crossing a ball across the ground to Lewis Orrell, who slotted into an empty net.

Young Guisborough defender Andy Wilson once again looked mature beyond his years, and thanks to his excellent positional awareness, and his goal-line clearance on 67 minutes prevented the Bay getting a quick second goal. Guisborough winger Steven Roberts came off the bench for his first appearance since his injury early in the season on 68 minutes, replacing midfielder Matthew Garbutt. Mason McNeill went down in the Bay area just seconds later, but the referee waved play on.

Not long after, Whitley Bay’s big centre forward, Adam Shanks, scored their second of the game, slotting it coolly past Steavens. Two minutes later, the referee brandished a red card for a tackle made by Guisborough captain Cal Martin. Whitley Bay naturally capitalised on their numerical advantage, and it was Adam Shanks who got Bay’s third of the afternoon.

Joe Ferguson was replaced by Jimmy Ward on 82 minutes, but there was very little that Guisborough could do by this point. Whitley Bay substitute Kieran Brennan scored their fourth, another cross and simple tap-in, to add further misery to a wet afternoon at the KGV. Just before the referee blew for full time, Lewis Orrell stepped up for Whitley Bay again and scored, and made the full-time result 5-0.

On Saturday Guisborough play Runcorn Town FC at the KGV Stadium in the Buildbase FA Vase First Round, kick off at 3pm.