NORTHALLERTON’S first team finally got back to winning ways with a tough and hard-fought home victory over Yarnbury by a score of 22-10.

The game was played throughout with a fierce cross wind making conditions very difficult. It was not a day for flamboyant or expansive rugby.

North looked dangerous in the first 20 minutes, but every time they got into the opposition’s 22 they lost possession far too easily, the Yarnbury number six being the main culprit, being a pain in North’s side throughout the game.

After 25 minutes North managed good ball retention before a rolling maul ended with Dom Dalby touching down in the corner for the opening score.

Five minutes later Yarnbury had a lineout 15 metres from North’s line, which was gathered admirably by the visitors before being shipped out to the other wing for their full back to touch down in the corner and level the score.

Just before half time North pressed the visitors’ try line and were close numerous times before Iain Swall picked up at the base of a scrum and put in Kris Morrison to stroll over the line. North went in at the break 10-5 up.

Yarnbury also had a player yellow carded for foul play in the build up to North’s try giving North a man advantage for ten minutes of the second half.

Despite being down to 14 men, five minutes into the second half a defensive mix up allowed the Yarnbury winger to sneak down the touchline and score in the corner to level the game again.

North came right back at the opposition and despite the strong wind, managed to keep Yarnbury in their own half for long periods.

Midway through the second half North were awarded a scrum just inside the opposition half and easily pushed their tiring opponents back nearly 15 metres to showcase their strength and superiority.

Five minutes later North were awarded a penalty try after Yarnbury deliberately collapsed the scrum twice from just ten metres out. The Yarnbury hooker also received a yellow card for foul play which, luckily for Yarnbury, meant the scrums then had to go uncontested.

Five minutes from time a North lineout was caught cleanly by Rob Greene before a catch and drive ended with Morrison touching down for his second try and the final score of the game.

Man of the match was awarded to scrum half Jack Radcliffe.

Next week Northallerton first team have no fixture but return to action on February 29 away to Old Rishworthians.

North seconds were at home to Old Crossleyans, who play at a higher level, which was evident with the 7-48 victory for the visitors.

North put in a gallant and courageous effort but could only muster the one try from Alex Wallis which was assisted by some mesmeric footwork from Paul Dennison in the lead up to the score. Brian Tucker added the one conversion despite the cross wind.

Man of the match was awarded to Gareth Essex for some admirable last-ditch tackling.

Next week North seconds have no official fixture but are hopeful of arranging a home game against Middlesbrough thirds, kick off at 2.15pm.