NORTHALLERTON first team suffered their first back to back defeats since March 2017, with a 0-22 home defeat to Leodensians.

Norths injury list seems to be mounting every week with five regular forwards now missing and a few more suffering with minor niggles that they are playing through.

While Leo’s had obviously improved since Norths early season win at Leeds, North capitulated far too easily in the first half and struggled to gain a foothold in the game.

Leo’s number ten controlled the game throughout, with consistent and excellent decision making. The fly half however, only had the time and space due to his forwards domination of North up front.

North had minor successes in the scrummaging but they could not match the visitors in the loose.

Straight from kick off Leo’s pressed North back inside their own 22, and after only five minutes broke through Norths defence with a well taken converted try under the posts.

After ten minutes Leo’s increased their lead with a tricky penalty in a strong crosswind.

North tried to get back into the game, but the visitors forced North into multiple handling errors in the freezing rain and wind.

After thirty minutes a Leo’s break was halted five yards short of the try line by an excellent covering tackle from Alexander Metcalfe. The Leo’s inside centre though, was first to arrive in support and collected the ball to amble over the line for another converted try.

Half time 0-17.

At the start of the second half North exerted a bit more pressure and Jedd Bainbridge was unlucky not to score in the corner, only the combination of three tacklers prevented him crossing the whitewash from six yards out.

Leo’s weathered Norths brief storm and replied midway through the second half with a breakaway try upfield to seal the victory.

North went looking for a consolation try in the last few minutes, but with the Leo’s defence staying strong, and with Norths bad handling, the home team remained scoreless for the first time since February 2016.

Norths man of the match was awarded to Alexander Metcalfe who looked like Norths most dangerous player on the rare occasion he received the ball out wide.

North now have three weeks without a game which will give them a chance to rest three or four of their walking wounded. Also, four out of the five injured forwards that were missing today, should be fit for the game at Barnsley on January 5th, kick off 2.15pm.

Northallerton seconds were without a fixture.