Guisborough Town 1, Consett 2

(EBAC Northern League – Division One)

Guisborough Town Manager Gary Forster was deeply disappointed yet positively encouraged as he watched his team lose by a one-goal margin for the second time this season against league leaders Consett. The Priorymen were very unfortunate to lose 3-2 to a last-gasp goal at Consett on the opening day of the season and on Saturday at the KGV they were unlucky again to be edged out 2-1 this time by the Steelmen.

Guisborough were particularly disappointed not to put on a winning show in their smart new green and white away strip - which they wore at the KGV in tribute to the considerable support the club gets from one of its main sponsors, CLS (Cleveland Land Services) Sports.

The match kicked off in strong, troublesome winds and both sides did their best in the difficult conditions to play good, open football. Guisborough more than held their own against the runaway league leaders but as has happened so often this season they conceded a goal just before half-time. In the 41st minute good interplay between Consett’s Michael Sweet and Darren Holden resulted in a fine ball through to Daniel Craggs who lashed the ball home from about 16 yards out.

After half-time both sides continued to press for a goal but it was Consett who extended their lead to 2-0 in the 68th minute when a scramble in the Guisborough goalmouth ended with Craggs slotting home. Guisborough refused to give in and got their just reward in the 70th minute when winger Steve Roberts scored spectacularly with a great shot into the top corner of the Consett net. The goal galvanised Guisborough even more and left back Joe Ferguson was desperately unlucky to see his superb effort from long range produce a great save from Consett ‘keeper. For the remainder of the game Guisborough tried their utmost to force an equaliser but as has been the case on so many occasions this season Lady Luck deserted them.

Town team boss Gary Forster was philosophical about the defeat after the game. He commented: "Very, very disappointed not to get anything out of the game. I thought we played very well and were actually the better side overall on the day. That said they always carried a threat on the break and we conceded two disappointing goals. I thought a couple of big decisions went against us. I felt John Seaton's 'goal' was not offside and although I thought the referee was good overall but his decision to award only a free kick when Mason McNeill was pulled back when clean through was absolutely inexplicable.”

"But we can take a lot of positives from our display as a whole. Brian Close was superb and my man of the match in a team full of excellent performances. I don't think we're far away from being one of the top teams in the league," added Gary.

Guisborough Town Chairman Don Cowan was as disappointed as his team manager Gary Forster that the team were not able to get at least a point in front of representatives of one of the club’s main sponsors, Cleveland Lands Services (Sports). He commented, “CLS have given us superb support over the years and we full appreciated what they do for us, so it was a shame we couldn’t have put on a winning show for them. But I know from talking to them they thoroughly enjoyed the game and like us thought we were unlucky not to get some reward out of the game.”

Tomorrow Guisborough play Whitley Bay FC at the KGV Stadium, kick-off 3pm.