WITH promotion secured, Northallerton first team carried on their good form with a comprehensive 55-5 home win over Aireborough.

Norths one fault of the recent weeks is starting games too slow and this time they were maid to pay the price after five minutes when the visitors scored the first try of the game.

North to their credit though, took only four minutes to respond. Sam Taylor went on the first of his many jinking runs from full back before releasing Jonny Franks to score an unconverted try.

Possession was then shared evenly between teams for the next fifteen minutes before Taylor again found himself in acres of space out wide. This time it was Benjamin James who was in support to profit and touchdown for another unconverted try.

Just before half time North had a chance to implement their catch and drive technique, but the maul was somehow brought down by the Boro forwards. However, after going through another three phases Iain Swall stretched out over the line for the third successive unconverted try.

Half time 15-5

North blew Boro away and out of sight in the opening eighteen minutes of the second half with SIX unanswered tries.

Scrum half Matthew Marsay helped himself to the first after three minutes of the restart, darting through a gap at the side of a maul for a try converted by Taylor.

Four minutes later, replacement Jeremy Deas added to the scoreline with a try in the corner, this time impressively converted by Taylor.

After fifty minutes Ben James and Franks exchanged passes before James scored under the posts with Taylor easily converting.

Two minutes later Taylor got his just rewards with a fine solo try that originated in his own half and finished off under the posts for an easier and successful conversion.

Two minutes later Zander Metcalfe took a leaf out of Taylor’s book and took a wide arc around the Boro defence before off loading for Taylor to score his second try and kick his fifth conversion on the trot.

After only eighteen minutes of the second half Taylor made yet another break, and with the try line only touching distance away, selflessly popped the ball to Joe Greiff to score an unconverted try.

After sixty four minutes Aireborough youngster Tom Copsey, suffered a terrible injury to his leg and the referee, after consultation with both captains blew for full time while awaiting the arrival of a ambulance.

All of Northallerton wish the youngster a speedy recovery and good wishes for the future.

The final try count for Northallerton of two tries for their forwards and seven by the backs was reward for recent backs coaching, and shows that North are not the ‘one trick pony’ many teams think they are.

Norths man of the match was awarded to Sam Taylor.

Next week Northallerton first team are away in their penultimate league game of the season to Leeds Medics and Dentists, 3pm kick off.

Another date for the diary is Wednesday May 2nd, when Northallerton first team are away to Wensleydale in the semi final of the Yorkshire Trophy, kick off at approx 19.30pm.

Northallerton second teams fixture was cancelled due to the opposition being unable to field a team. Next week North 2nds are awaiting fixture confirmation.