Ladies 2nds v Colne Valley: A 1.30 pushback saw a mid table clash against Colne Valley. A fast start saw Colne open the scoring after 5 mins. But a short corner routine involving Olivia Smerdon and Millie saw Sheryl deflect in at the far post. This was quickly followed by a penalty flick converted by Olivia S so halftime arrived with Thirsk leading 2-1. Ten minutes into the second half saw a breakaway by Olivia S, running from the halfway line and smashing the ball into the bottom corner, Thirsk seemingly in control. But the team seemed to lose their rhythm and conceded two quickfire goals. And with five minutes to go Colne got a short corner which was dispatched to condemn Thirsk to a home defeat which they didn't deserve. Player of the Match was Jess Merrin.

Ladies’ 2nds away v Bingley Bees: Out for the second match of the weekend, and fielding a very young squad, the Ladies second team travelled to Bingley Bees. The team arrived at a very cold, but bright Titus Salt School. Everyone played brilliantly, and caused the oppositions defence a lot of problems, with young pace and slick stick skills proving too much for the opposition. The first goal came quite quickly with the forwards hungry for goals and the first half finished 2-0. A beautiful reverse hit from Holly went just over the goal, and put the opposition in a spin. Minutes later Holly scored from the same technique, then Minnie added another with a lovely reverse stick finish. Georgie, Yasmin and Poppy linked up brilliantly on the right with lovely movement off the ball. This was a great team effort, especially for a young team. Jess was very strong in midfield, tackling strongly and pushing the ball forward. Jade held defence with some great well timed tackles, making Ellie’s job easier, who didn’t have much to do but made some solid saves when required. not much to do today for Ellie, but solid saves when needed. Final score 5-1 to Thirsk.

Men’s 2nds away v Rotherham: The seconds travelled away to top of the league Rotherham needing to pick up points in the relegation battle. Thirsk started well, pressing the Rotherham team high and forcing them into long ball hockey which was easily cleaned up by the two central midfielders of Patrick Hunt and Ian Foxley. Thirsk soon ended up scoring through Andrew Young (aged 57!) to make it 1-0. And then Youngy scored two more goals in quick succession to make it 3-0 before half time. At the start of the second half Rotherham came out fighting and made changes to their formation so that they were now pressing Thirsk back. They were soon winning short corners and were eventually awarded a penalty flick by the umpire who was stood in the opposite half. Rotherham scored, and continued to press and although Thirsk were creating chances at the other end, the ball wouldn’t go in. Soon the score became 3-2 and with 30 seconds left of the game Thirsk felt it was over. Rotherham won a short corner, and managed to score through a deflection. Final score 3-3. All in all a great result against a team sat at the top of the league with a 100% home record, but disappointing not to take all 3 points.

Men’s 3rds v Harrogate: The team on Sunday was Andy Watson in goal; Mike Rushmere, Andy Young, Michael Crampton and Sean McEag in defence; Matty Rayne, George Hall, Liam Shannon and Conner Wilkinson in midfield; and Jonathan Craske and Alex Kennedy in attack. An exciting game ended 5-5.

Girls U12 B team at Weetwood: With many training sessions and tournaments being cancelled due to the weather so far this season, the U12 B team were glad to be back at Weetwood. Due to a misunderstanding, there was no goalkeeper, however, so Thirsk had to borrow one for each of their five matches. The team played some impressive hockey, especially given that they haven’t played together much. Results as follows: 0-0 v Northallerton, 1-0 win v Castletown, 2-0 v Ben Rhydding, 0-0 v Doncaster and a 1-0 defeat v City of York. Final tournament of the season will be on 11th March, weather permitting.