NORTHALLERTON first team carried on their excellent winning streak with a 5-27 victory away at Knottingley.

The game was a close affair with sometimes more brawn being used than brain. In the end it was Knottingleys ill discipline that cost them, while North simply kept their cool and played rugby the best way they know.

North took the lead after nine minutes when a scrum was awarded ten metres from the Knotts line. Iain Swall picked up the ball at the base of the scrum but was held up one metre short before his older brother Phil arrived on scene to collect the ball and touch down. Jedd Bainbridge added the conversion with his only successful kick off the day.

After fifteen minutes the home team were awarded a soft penalty when Joe Greiff was penalised for deliberate blocking. North were let off the hook when the straightforward kick was sliced wide.

For the next twenty minutes Knottingley threatened to break the North defence on a three or four occasions but were thwarted each time by some resolute defending from every North player, with hardly a single tackle missed.

Then after thirty five minutes the first glimpse of Knottingleys lack of self control came to the fore when one their players was yellow carded for constant infringements.

Northallerton forwards then again started to dominate the game and got their just rewards with Phil Swall scoring another try after a ten metre and ten man rolling maul, which at one time even included Doug Mulholland adding his considerable weight behind the drive.

Half time 0-12

North started the second half as they finished the first, outmuscling and out smarting the opposition. Norths forwards continued good ball retention and clinical pick up and drives. Just as it looked like the forwards were going to break through North quickly shipped the ball out to Joe Greiff on the wing, who collected the ball at pace to run over his opposite number and touch down.

Five minutes later Knottingley gave themselves a glimmer of hope when their scrum half produced a cheeky inside pass that wrong footed the North defence allowing the home team to score in the corner.

Any chances of a revival though were thrown out of the window when the home team received two more yellow cards in the last twenty five minutes of the game due to ill discipline and carelessness.

With the home team tiring immensely and also being a man short, North took advantage with two more unconverted tries in the last ten minutes.

The first came via a lineout catch and drive that started over twenty metres from the try line and ended with the maul crossing the whitewash and Phil Swall scoring his third try.

Two minutes from time Sam Taylor added another try following good work from Joe Hargreaves and Jonny Baker which resulted in Taylor side stepping two opponents before scoring in the corner.

Final score 5-27.

Next week North first team host local rivals Wensleydale at home with a 2.15 kick off.

Northallerton second team were due to play Middlesbrough at home but the opposition only turned up with twelve players and despite North offering to loan them a player, Boro opted to forfeit the game.

Next week Northallerton seconds are at home to Newton Aycliffe with ac2.15pm kick off.

Northallerton are making the afternoon of Saturday 9th December a special event incorporating a celebratory special invitation lunch, commemorating the 40 year anniversary of Northallerton’s Silver trophy victory in 1977, including as many ex players as possible.

There will also be an official unveiling of a new board listing all the previous Captains of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams.

Preceding the unveiling Northallerton ladies rugby team - ‘The Nightmares’ are also playing at home next week against Windermere Warriors with a 12.00 midday kick off. As many supporters as possible are encouraged to attend and cheer the ladies on.