NORTHALLERTON first team continued their winning ways, making it 12 out of 12, with a hard fought 32-8 home victory over Aireborough in the Yorkshire Trophy.

North struggled in the first half as the visitors had the larger percentage of possession thus nullifying Norths superior forward threat. North did not help themselves by conceding turnover ball too easily and too often when going into contact.

Even in the first minute, Boros rush defence was a worry to North when they intercepted a loose pass from hooker Jonny Baker before scampering upfield. Only a last ditch tackle, five metres short of the try line, from Joe Greiff stopped the visitors from scoring.

After ten minutes the visitors took the lead with a penalty when an over eager Northallerton player was adjudged offside twenty metres out and central.

Slowly North started to get more into the game but Boro still looked dangerous with their fly half controlling proceedings.

After twenty five minutes a typical North catch and drive from a lineout fifteen metres out resulted in an unconverted try for the ever improving Simon Manthorpe to give North a 5-3 lead going into the break.

During the half time break North received a rousing and inspirational talking to by Norths backs coach Nicholas ‘Tank’ Bainbridge, which seemed to stimulate them for the second half.

Straight from the off North upped their game and forced Aireborough into errors and pushing the offside boundaries. After forty five minutes a penalty by Jedd Bainbridge increased Norths lead by five points.

Soon after Norths backs finally got themselves sorted for a well worked and intricate try involving some speedy and slick passing with Benjamin James finishing off the move in the corner. Bainbridge added the conversion to give North a 12 point cushion.

On the hour mark a pinpoint kick from Bainbridge into the Boro half was chased up by Mathew Marsay and Greiff. Marsay was first on the scene and savagely tackled the Boro full back enabling Greiff to rob the ball and scurry up field. With Boro defenders coming across, Greiff delivered a sublime inside pass to the supporting Bainbridge, who jinked inside to score an unconverted try.

Soon after the visitors completely fell apart when the Boro centre dropped an easy pass on his own try line and also fumbled the pick up before Xander Metcalfe nonchalantly scooped the ball up one handed, took three steps and touched the ball down for another unconverted try.

Ten minutes later North got their fifth and final try with an almost carbon copy of their first. A lineout catch and drive was successfully touched down this time by Phil Swall. Again Bainbridge was wayward with the conversion.

In the dying minutes Aireborough got a consolation try after a charged down clearance from Lee Peake was touched down.

Final score 32-8

Man of the match was awarded to Joe Greiff.

Next week Northallerton resume league action at home to Stocksbridge with a 2.15pm kick off.

Northallerton’s second team game against Guisborough Monks had to be called off after 58 minutes due to an injury to North player Morgan Cockings, who had a suspected double broken leg. The air ambulance was called for immediate aid before eventually an ambulance from the local hospital arrived to ferry him to James Cook Hospital. All at the club wish him a speedy and healthy recovery.

At the time of the stoppage North were leading 17-12 thanks to tries from Cockings, Andy McQuaker and Ian Dunne, with Gareth Essex adding one conversion.

Unfortunately, with game abandoned before the sixty minute mark, the result reverts to a 0-0 draw.

Next week North seconds are away at Horden and Peterlee rugby club, kick off at 2.15pm.