NORTHALLERTON first team made the long coach journey to Skipton and ground out a difficult 27-8 victory to enhance their winning streak to 11 from 11 including one cup game.

The first half was action packed before a more quiet and lacklustre second half.

Northallerton again looked dangerous straight from the kick off as they kept the home team pressed into their own 22. After only four minutes North got their just rewards with a try for Simon Manthorpe after a fifteen metre rolling maul, spearheaded by Joe Osleton, steamrolled through the Skipton forwards and over the whitewash. Jedd Bainbridge, who was suffering with a stomach bug was way wide of the mark with the conversion.

Ten minutes later captain, Jonny Franks made a break from midfield, side stepping one defender before brushing past two more Skipton players and finally releasing Joe Grieff who celebrated his 21st birthday by scoring in the corner. Bainbridge added the conversion with his only successful kick of the day - which was probably also his most difficult.

On the twenty minute mark, Skipton gave themselves a small chance of a recovery with an unconverted try while North were down to fourteen men due to James Hopkins receiving medical treatment.

Soon after this North were dealt a double blow with both James Sankey and Ed Meeks being forced off with injury. However, North were fortunate to be able to call on the more than adequate replacements of Jonny Baker and Paul Dixon.

Both showed there worth after thirty minutes with Dixon leading another long rolling maul before Baker this time touching down for the try.

After thirty five minutes North scored the try of the game with a move stretching swiftly from one side of the field to the other, through four different players hands and finished off by Benjamin James.

Two minutes later Skipton scored a long range penalty for a dubious offside decision against a North player.

Just before half time North were reduced to fourteen men when Hopkin was yellow carded for retaliating for an illegal blow to his midriff.

Half time 8-22

The second half was a much calmer and quieter affair with the home team edging possession and territory but unable to breach Norths more than capable defence.

Ten minutes into the second half Hopkins was reintroduced after his enforced rest in the sun bin and calmed any nervousness that was creeping into Norths game.

North did however add to the scores after sixty five minutes, when Iain Swall easily collected yet another line out throw, which turned into another rolling maul, with this time Hopkin touching down for the try.

There was one more chance for a try ten minutes before the end when Doug Mulholland intercepted a wayward pass in his own half before going on a fifty metre dash towards the try line. Unfortunately he ran out of steam ten metres short and was bundled into touch.

Final score 8-27

Man of the match was awarded to Iain Swall not only for his 100% lineout catches but also for ‘stealing’ numerous Skipton lineout balls and all round play.

Next week Northallerton are at home to Aireborough

In the next round of the Yorkshire Cup, kick off 2.15pm

Northallerton second team returned to winning ways with an emphatic 80- 17 home win over Redcar in the Yorkshire Shield.

Norths tries came from Gareth Essex(4), Matty Wheeler(4), Ian Dunn(2), Simon Lawrie and John Logan. Brian Tucker added five of the conversions.

The only negative factor of the game was an injury to veteran Peter Barraclough who was taken to hospital for a suspected concussion.

Next week Northallerton seconds are scheduled to play Guisborough Monks at home with a 2.15pm kick off.