A businessman who got drunk in a bar and violently attacked two men, breaking the jaw of one victim, has walked free from court.

Darren Pick had travelled down to Middlesbrough from his Tyneside home for a night out in Flares when he became embroiled in a drunken bar fight with a group of men.

The 37-year-old was offered the chance to shake hands to dispel that animosity but instead chose to lash out and punch two men.

Teesside Crown Court heard how the violence erupted in the early hours of May 29 this year when the father-of-four was visiting the town on his own.

Rachel Butt, prosecuting, said Pick was asked to stop dancing between the group of friends and initially moved out of the way but became agitated and confronted two of the men in the bar.

She said: “He began to accuse one of them of laughing at him, he has then punched him once and another man twice when he grabbed hold of him.”

The court heard how the first victim suffered a double fracture to his jaw which required surgery to repair while the other victim suffered no significant injury.

Darlington and Stockton Times: Flares, MiddlesbroughFlares, Middlesbrough (Image: Google)

Pick, of Fallowfield, Felling, Gateshead, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent and assault by beating when he appeared at magistrates’ court.

Christopher Knox, mitigating, said the businessman was deeply ashamed of his behaviour while he was under the influence of drink and was disgusted at himself after learning he had broke the man's jaw.

He added: “He is mortified by what happened. This was in excess of drink that night.”

Judge Jonathan Carroll sentenced the  North East-based windfarm engineering boss to eight months in prison suspended for two years.

“There comes a point in time when there was a disagreement between you and these two men – probably over something quite trivial – you were asked to move away and that has rankled with you,” he said.

“You threw a single punch and you were grabbed and while struggling with the other man you threw two more punches, causing less serious injuries.”

Pick was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and pay compensation of £1,000 and £250 to his two victims.