Pictures have emerged of a crash that a driver was lucky to escape after being trapped against a tree on a North Yorkshire road.

Yesterday morning (December 7), emergency services attended a crash at 7.45am between two lorries and a car on the A1 northbound.

The crash, between Catterick and Scotch Corner, was attended by North Yorkshire Police and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (NYFRS).

The collision left the driver of the car trapped in the vehicle, against a tree next to approximately a 10 metre drop.

Darlington and Stockton Times:

Thankfully, the driver was able to walk away from the incident after fire crews stabilised the vehicled and removed the windscreen from the car.

In a statement, a Richmond Fire Station spokesperson said: "This morning at 0745, crews from Richmond, Darlington and Northallerton responded to a road traffic collision on the A1 north bound between Catterick and Scotch Corner, person trapped in the vehicle, against a tree next to approximately a ten metre drop.

Darlington and Stockton Times:

"On arrival the officer in charge immediately tasked the crews with stabilising the vehicle using a Tirfor, (a piece of equipment used for used for pulling/lifting) due to the vehicle been in a precarious position.

"Once the vehicle was stable, crews cut the front windscreen out, and miraculously the driver with a little help from firefighters, walked out of the vehicle and into awaiting paramedics."

Darlington and Stockton Times:

In a statement today, a County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service (CDDFRS) spokesperson confirmed they attended the scene just before 8am and left shortly before 9am.

They said: "A request from North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service for assistance at a road traffic collision came into CDDFRS control just before 8am on Wednesday, December 7.

"The collision between junctions 52 and 53 on the A1 was attended by a crew from Darlington alongside North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and other emergency services colleagues.

"Crews worked swiftly to assess and deal with the collision and those affected, leaving the scene just before 9am.”

Darlington and Stockton Times: