A man who hurled a torrent of vile racial abuse at you a teenage girl after he walked into her home has been locked up for 23 weeks.

David Welsh called the girl a racial slur before threatening to burn down the family home and chop them all up.

The 43-year-old was punched to the face by the girl’s brother before he went to his flat, picked up a metal aerial pole and returned to the street to continue shouting racial abuse at the family.

Teesside Crown Court heard how Welsh was arrested and bailed following the incident but was again caught shouting racist abuse towards members of the family two weeks later – this time part of the incident was recorded.

During his ongoing tirade, the defendant shouted ‘f***ing P*** ****’ and ‘P*** b***ards’.

Read more: Homeless man's crime spree in Darlington town centre ends with him being locked up

Welsh, of Yarm Road, Darlington, admitted one charge of racially aggravated harassment following the incidents on May 22 and June 6 this year.

Brian Russell, mitigating, urged the judge to pass a sentence no longer than the time his client had served on remand.

He said Welsh was embarrassed by his behaviour and accepted he would not like it if someone shouted at his children the way he had towards the teenager.

Recorder Aisha Wadoodi sentenced Welsh to 23 weeks in custody for the horrendous verbal abuse he inflicted on the teenage girl and her family.

She said: “She (the teenager) became aware of a male voice shouting as you were coming up the stairs, the bedroom door opened and she saw you – what she must have felt can’t be imagined.

“You were confronted by her brother and were racially abusive to him – you threatened to cut him up into pieces.”

Judge Wadoodi said Welsh returned to the scene on June 6 and shouted ‘P*** ****, I’m going to burn your house down’ and you called her a slut – part of that incident was recorded by the teenager’s mother.

She added: “It was an appalling catalogue of behaviour, racial abuse, frightening a young girl – would you accept that Mr Welsh?”

During his sentencing hearing, Welsh said: “You are 100 per cent right, I was totally wrong shouting at the young lass.

“I’m putting my hands up, I know I did wrong.”

Welsh was also made subject of a seven-year restraining order to stay away from the family and their Darlington home.

Read next: