An 80-year-old man who went missing at the weekend after going for a walk in the Yorkshire Dales has been found safe and well.

A large-scale search operation involving the police helicopter was launched when Harry Harvey was reported missing on Sunday afternoon.

Police said they were 'extremely concerned' for his welfare after he spent two nights missing out in the Upper Dales area.

Today, North Yorkshire Police said that he was found by a wildlife photographer who had seen the police missing person's appeal and noticed Harry waving at her from the direction of Keld. 

North Yorkshire Police Inspector Mark Gee, said; "This is fantastic news that Harry has been found safe and well.

"I want to thank all the search volunteers for their time, as well as Gamekeepers, estate owners, farmers and local residents for their help and understanding.

"Thanks also to the Tan Hill, who looked after the volunteers and Mr Harvey's family." 

Members of the Swaledale Mountain Rescue team helped in the search for Harry and a spokesman said: "Great news Harry Harvey has been found safe and well on the moor near Tan Hill.

"Over 100 mountain rescue members have been involved in the successful search over the last three days.

"Thanks also for the substantial support offered by local people."

The remote Tan Hill Inn - Britain's highest pub - acted as a support hub for the many different organisations involved in the search for Harry.

These included volunteers from numerous mountain rescue teams including Swaledale, Cleveland, Teesdale & Weardale, North of Tyne and Northumberland National Park Mountain Rescue.

Gamekeepers, police and dog units were also all involved in the hunt for Harry.

Speaking on video shared on social media by the Tan Hill Inn, Harry appeared shocked at the mammoth operation that had been launched to find him.

Sporting a head dressing after he bumped his head slipping from a bridge during his excursion, Harry said he had enjoyed 'three really good wild camping nights' on his own and did not realise that so many people were out looking for him.  

Meawhile, his family said that his time spent missing in the remote Upper Dales had been 'torture' for them.