KILDALE will face Northallerton Police in the final of the League Challenge Cup later this month after two goals from Alex Grainge last Sunday helped them to a 3-1 victory over Catterick Village.

Grainge opened the scoring midway through the first half but Village were level by the break thanks to a strike from Stew Fortheringham. There was very little to choose between the sides in the second half but Grainge added his second 20 minutes to time to put Kildale back in front, while Michael Gill sealed their place in the final ten minutes later.

Police remain on course for a possible clean sweep as they increased their lead at top of the Division One table to six points with a 5-1 win at Blue Star.

Tom James gave the hosts an 11th-minute lead, but Ben Darville brought the Police level before the break and they gained control in the second half. Sam Vernalls put them in front from the penalty spot before Darville, with his second, and Michael Gunnell quickly made it 4-1.

Star had the chance to pull a goal back when Leslie was brought down in the penalty area but Police goalkeeper Steve Walker saved James’ spot kick and Vernalls then completed the scoring in stoppage time.

Henleys Athletic saw their title bid all but disappear as a stoppage-time strike from Callum Cuthbert saw them lose 1-0 at Stokesley SC.

Sportsmans FC are still in the title race after they thrashed Broughton Hibs 5-1.

Stephen Butterworth and Colin Anderson both scored twice, while Richard Calvert completed the scoring. Andrew Porritt scored for Hibs.

Northallerton WMC kept their slim survival hopes alive with a 3-0 home win over fellow- strugglers Travaux FC.

Arriving without a win all season and having been deducted the only three points they had amassed, the Workies knew nothing less than victory would do. And after Tom Roidan gave them an early lead, a second-half brace from Wayne Thompson secured a first success of the season. The Workies now have to win all three remaining games to have any chance of staying up, while Travaux remain four points from safety with three matches to play.

The Division Two title race took another twist with two of the five contenders losing.

Leaders Brompton-on- Swale now look unlikely to win the title after a shock 4-3 defeat at relegation-threatened Osmotherley Rangers. After going behind early on to a deflected strike from Dean Tate, Brompton looked on course for a vital three points with goals either side of the break from Andy Robertson, Ali Logan and Chris Pickersgill.

But Rangers rallied in the second half and grabbed victory with strikes from Rich Thompson, Matty Lamb and Robbie Nelmes to increase their chances of avoiding the drop.

Ainderby SC are now just four points behind Brompton with four games in hand after they saw off bottom side Streetlam Farmers 3-2, goals at the start of the second half from Carl Armstrong, Sam Logan and John Dolan securing the points.

Three Coopers are a point behind with a further game in hand after they thrashed Golden Lion, Romanby, 7-1. Stu Adams led the way with a four-goal haul, while Phil Parker, Paul Nicholson and AJ Westwood completed the rout.

A penalty from Liam Hall gave the Lion some late consolation.

West Tanfield look out of the title race after a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of Osmotherley FC. Phil Hindson turned home a cross from Graham Wrightson to give the visitors a half-time lead and that was the way it stayed until the final ten minutes, when Hindson added his and Ossie’s second with a fine solo effort. Tanfield are now five points off the top with just one game in hand.

Cowtons could creep into the final promotion place after a 7-3 success at Topcliffe.

Mark Forrest hit a hat-trick, while Jimmy Muir scored twice as Cowtons dominated.

Adam Williams, Luke Burnett and Carl Wright were all on target for early-season pacesetters Topcliffe, but Tom Armstrong and Anth Verity sealed the points for the visitors, who now need to win their final two matches and hope others slip up.

Brompton FC were crowned Division Three champions with a 5-0 victory at The Standard.

Needing a win to secure the title, Brompton never looked in trouble as a brace from Craig Johnston and goals from Gary Toman, Ryan Wilson and James Horsefield meant the celebrations could finally begin.

Masons Arms brought the curtain down on an inconsistent season with a 16-1 thrashing of bottom side Northern Dons. Dave Tennant struck five times while Ben Warmington hit four as Masons went goal crazy. Adam Leahy scored twice, while Roy Smith, David Burnside, Wayne Coyle and player-manager David Young were also on target. However, the goal of the day was Mark Fowler’s 40- yard screamer. The Dons remain without a point.

In the final match of the week, GLR Romanby beat visitors Vale of York 3-1. Chris Smith and Kris Frost put the hosts in control before the break, while Steven Heaney sealed the points 20 minutes from time.

Vale will finish third from bottom while GLR could make the top five with victory in their final three matches.