WITH Division One leaders Henleys Athletic not in action last Sunday, Northallerton Police were able to cut the gap at the top to three points with two games in hand after a 21-0 thrashing of bottom side Appleton Wiske.

Graham Caygill scored six times while Sam Vernalls hit five as the Police dominated. Si Pinkney (3), David Cooke (2), Chris Pattison (2), Ben Darville, Gary Shardha, and an own goal completed the rout.

Broughton and Kirkby Hibs are third after a 3-2 win at Northallerton WMC. Dan Baxter gave the Workies an early lead but a brace from James Mathias, the first of which was a screamer, and strike from Alex Bennett turned the match in the Hibs’ favour. Baxter grabbed his second late on but the visitors held on for all three points.

Robert Thompsons and Stokesley SC are both through to the last eight of the North Riding Challenge Cup. Thompsons thrashed fellow Hambleton League side Traxaux FC 8-0. After Chris Moores had given Thompsons as early lead, Stu Rose struck four times before the break. Ryan McKendry, Gareth Barber and Dan McCalmont then completed the rout in the second half.

Stokesley needed penalties to see off the challenge of Layfield Arms, Yarm, after their tie ended 1-1. It proved to be a good day for Andrew Murphy who not only scored to give Stokesley the lead but also hit the winning penalty in the shoot-out.

Meanwhile, Osmotherley FC, who lost 2-0 to The Clarry, Redcar, and GLR Romanby, who lost 1-0 at Clarendon Hotel, Marske, both bowed out of the competition.

Three Coopers were the big movers in Division Two as a 7-1 victory over Golden Lion, Romanby lifted them into the top four. The match was over as a contest before the break as goals from Ryan Jones, Johnny Reyner, Danny Dale and Jack Reynard gave the host a 4-0 lead. Iain Summerson scored a consolation for the Lion soon after the restart but Matthew Allison made it 5-1 before Reynard added two more in the closing stages to complete his hat-trick.

AFC Beckside and Catterick Village shared four goals at Alborough St John. First half goals Bradley Woods and Michael Richardson looked to have set Beckside on their way to victory but a second half brace from Adam Hodgkinson rescued a point for Village.

Division Three leaders Brompton FC suffered a surprising 4-2 home defeat to third-placed Knayton. Matt Fishburn and John Henry were on target for the visitors in the first half before Dave Clarke put the leaders back into it. Fishburn added his second straight after the restart and goalkeeper Tom Hogg then saved a Brompton penalty before Fishburn completed his hat-trick on the hour.

Stephen Pratt did grab a second for Brompton late on but it was not enough to prevent a second league defeat of the season.

Bar One took advantage of that slip by the leaders to cut the gap at the top to five points with a game in hand after a 3-1 home win over County Arms. Ben Wood scored twice in the first half before Callum Sheridan sealed the points.

Chris Foster grabbed a late County consolation.

The Standard remain in the promotion frame after beating visitors Jolly Minister 3-1. Phil Wrightson was on target twice while an own goal from Minister’s Si Bird sealed the points.

Elsewhere, Masham enjoyed a 4-0 home win over Masons Arms, while a first half goal from Anthony Foster was scant consolation for bottom side Northern Dons as they were thrashed 17-1 at Vale of York.