THERE was a big shock in the League Challenge Cup last Sunday as Division Two side Catterick Village beat Division One high-flyers Sportsmans FC 1-0.

The only goal arrived midway through the first half from Danny Allen and the underdogs held on to book their place in the last eight.

In Division One, leaders Henleys Athletic hit top form with a 10-0 thrashing of struggling Appleton Wiske. Guy Smith scored a hat-trick inside the opening 20 minutes, while a brace from Chris James and a strike from Tom Keegan made it 6-0 at half time.

It was a similar story in the second period as Mark Hemingway, Josh Knox, Andrew Fisher, on his debut, and Anthony Stones completed the rout. Henleys remain three points clear at the top although they have played two games more than second placed Northallerton Police.

Blue Star moved into the top five with a 7-3 victory at bottom side Northallerton WMC.

The match was over as a contest inside 40 minutes as Shaun Charlton, Tom James, Dave James and an own goal gave Star a 4-0 advantage.

Mikey Stevens pulled one back just before the break, and he would go on to complete his hat-trick in the second half, but a brace from Liam Cook and a second from Charlton gave Star all three points.

Travaux FC eased their relegation fears with a 1-0 win over Stokesley SC - the winner coming in the final minute from Dan Morris.

Brompton-on-Swale moved up to second in Division Two, four points behind leaders West Tanfield with two games in hand, thanks to a 2-0 home victory over AFC Beckside.

Goals at the start of each half from Chris Pickersgill and Marshall Thorogood settled a fiery encounter and gave inform Brompton a seventh straight win.

Topcliffe are in free-fall as they lost for the fourth time in five games going down 2-1 at home to struggling Osmotherley Rangers. The visitors began the day in the bottom two but second half goals from Dean Tate and Matty Lamb gave them a precious three points, after Andrew Butler had earlier scored for Topcliffe.

Cowtons kept themselves in the promotion race with a 4-0 victory over struggling Streetlam Farmers. Jimmy Muir hit a brace while Mark Sims and Gareth Essex completed a comfortable Cowtons success.

Ainderby SC moved clear of the relegation zone with a 3-1 win at Osmotherley FC. Chris Hope gave the visitors a 25th minute lead but Jacob Mc- Naughton equalised for Ossie just before the break. However, Jordan Owen and Kyle O’- Gorman scored within three minutes of the restart to settle the match for Ainderby.

There was a big match at the top of Division Three where runaway leaders Brompton FC hosted second placed Bar One. The hosts had won all of their previous 12 matches this season but it was a case of unlucky 13 as Bar came back from 2-0 down to win in dramatic fashion. A first half brace from Jack Watson looked to have put Brompton on course for another victory but after Dean Hill reduced the arrears early in the second period, late goals from Ben Wood and Paul Humphreys gave Bar the spoils, although they still trail the leaders by 12 points.

In another promotion sixpointer, Knayton moved into the top three above Farmers Arms whom they beat 5-2.

Scott Ryan gave the Farmers an early lead but Andrew Parkinson was in unstoppable form, scoring four times to seal the points before Ryan Clark made it 5-1. Adam Simpson then scored a late Farmers consolation.

County Arms and Masham shared six goals in a thriller at Stonecross. County led twice in the first half thanks to goals from Matty Fowler and a Liam Stockill penalty, but after Sam Gill and an own goal had twice brought Masham level, they looked to have won it when Johnny Saviour lived up to his name. However, Chris Foster equalised five minutes from time to ensured the points were shared.

Masons Arms are climbing the table as a late brace from Dave Tennant gave them a third win in a row, 2-1 at Jolly Minister. Chris Wilbor had earlier given the Ministermen a first half lead before stand-in goalkeeper Lee Johnson saved a second half Masons spot kick, but it proved to be in vain in the end.

The bottom two met at Allertonshire School where Northern Dons were just three minutes away from picking up their first point of the season against Romanby GLR. An early Sean McCaskill goal for Romanby, against his former side, was equalised by Dons’ Anthony Foster and that was the way it stayed until the final stages when first James Thacker and then a Jonathan Fishburn penalty broke Dons’ hearts.