Hambleton League: Blow for Broughton in quest to take over as league leaders

3:12pm Friday 29th November 2013

WITH Division One’s top two, Northallerton Police and Henleys Athletic, meeting at Newby Wiske, Broughton and Kirkby Hibs had the chance to leap to the top with victory at Robert Thompsons but they went down to a 4-2 defeat.

An early overhead kick from Nick Cressey and a header from Ryan McKendry put the hosts in control before Alex Dougall responded for the Hibs midway through the first half. But Stu Rose scored a spectacular bicycle kick to make it 3-1 at the break while Dan McCalmont sealed the points in the second half. Alex Brown did grab a second for the Hibs late on but it was not enough to prevent only a second league defeat of the season.

Sportsmans FC are four points off the top with a game in hand after showing no mercy to bottom side Appleton Wiske, winning 7-1. Scott McNichol, Aaron Ramsbottom and Colin Anderson ended the match as a contest before the break, while Ramsbottom went on to complete his hat-trick in the second half.

Brother Andy Ramsbottom and Alex Caisley then made it 7-0 before Dan Jones got a late Appleton consolation.

Elsewhere, a goal from Stuart Brown was only enough to give Travaux FC a 1-1 draw at Blue Star.

Division Two leaders West Tanfield remain three points clear at the top after a 5-3 victory at inconsistent Cowtons.

Gerry Metcalfe gave the hosts an early lead but Martin Mason brought Tanfield level before the break while Rafal Kochanski and Mason again put them 3-1 ahead. Adam Dunwoodie brought Cowtons back in to it but Kochanski completed his hat-trick to seal the points before a late Metcalfe consolation.

Topcliffe remain second after an incredible 6-5 win over third placed AFC Beckside.

Gareth Barber, Matthew Lawley and Duncan Padget all scored twice for Topcliffe but they were forced to hang on at the end after a brace from Mark Swanwick and further efforts from James Edwards, Alec Lawson, and James Briggs.

Brompton-on-Swale are up to fourth as they made it five wins in a row with a 3-0 success at Three Coopers. Chris Pickersgill scored twice in the first half before Andy Robertson sealed the points on the hour. However, Coopers played well and it took a fine defensive display from Robert Atkinson to ensure Brompton left with the points.

Catterick Village remain in the promotion race after a 5-1 victory at Golden Lion, Romanby.

There was very little to choose between the sides in a tight first half which saw Josh Woof put Village in front and John Bell equalise. But Rob Lister and Adam Hodgkinson soon had Village in control before Hodgkinson and Woof sealed the points late on.

The Osmotherley derby went the way of FC who won 4-3 at Rangers. There was little hint of the drama to come when Elliott Hollis gave FC a narrow half time advantage but Craig Collingwood and Stephen Widdowfield struck within five minutes of the restart to make it 3-0. Rangers hit back with goals from Dean Tate and Matty Ranson but Lee Holtby sealed the points when he headed home a Shaun Harrison corner to make it 4-2. Tate then set up a thrilling finale with his second, two minutes from time, but FC hung on for the points and local bragging rights.

Division Three leaders Brompton FC made it 11 wins out of 11 with a 10-1 thrashing of bottom side Northern Dons.

Jack Walton scored four times while Callum Brown and James Marriott hit two each, before Adam Wilson and Craig Johnston completed the rout.

Steve Young scored a late consolation for the Dons, who have now conceded 100 goals in just ten games.

Second-placed Bar One travelled to fourth-placed The Standard and twice came from behind to grab a 2-2 draw. Phil Sharpe gave the hosts a halftime advantage but Paul Humphreys equalised on the hour. Gareth Hare then restored The Standards’ lead 20 minutes from time but Bar snatched a point thanks to Ben Wood’s stoppage time leveller.

Farmers Arms remain in the promotion places after a 3-1 home victory over Masham.

Eddy Codd gave the Farmers an early lead but it needed goals from Mickey Sartini and Scott Ryan either side of the break to seal the points after Chris Monkhouse was on target for Masham.

Knayton are up to fifth after beating visitors County Arms 2-1. John Henry gave the hosts a narrow half time advantage but it appeared as though the points would be shared when Martin Larkin equalised 11 minutes from time. However, virtually straight from the restart, Matt Fishburn restored Knayton’s lead and that was the way it finished.

Jolly Minister won for only the second time this season as a late Alex O’Neill header gave them a 3-2 success at Vale of York. In an eventful game, the Minister men found themselves 2-0 down but goals from Gary Elsworth and Sam Bird brought them level before O’Neill’s late intervention.

Meanwhile both goalkeepers were in the thick of the action as Minister’s Stan Perry saved a penalty while his Vale counterpart was sent off for dissent.

GL Romanby remain in the bottom two after a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Masons Arms. Jason Hall gave Masons a half time lead and after Kris Frost equalised, the stage was set for David Burnside’s late winner – only his second goal in four seasons for the club.


© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Darlington and Stockton Times: Site Logo http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/trade_directory/