Hambleton League: Happy return for Rose with a double for Robert Thompsons

4:24pm Friday 22nd November 2013

THERE was not too many shocks last Sunday in the last 16 of the League Challenge Cup, although Division Three leaders Brompton FC made Division One side Robert Thompsons fight all the way for a 2-1 success. Stu Rose, who was playing his first game for over six months after recovering from a broken leg, won and converted the penalty that gave Thompsons a 29th minute lead, but Adam Wilson equalised for the previously unbeaten Brompton shortly afterwards. However, with extra time less than ten minutes away, Rose grabbed his second to bring an end to the giant-killing.

Ainderby SC, struggling near the foot of Division Two, came close to an upset before going down 5-3 at home to Division One side Kildale. Jordan Owen gave Ainderby an early lead but Aaron Pratt (2), and Wayne Stephenson soon had Kildale in control. Kyle O’Gorman put the hosts back into it just before the break but Stephenson looked to have sealed Kildale’s progress on the hour when he made it 4-2.

However, a penalty from O’Gorman with six minutes left set up a thrilling finale but as Ainderby pushed on looking for the equaliser, Jamie Atkinson sealed it for Kildale two minutes from time.

The tie of the round was at Henleys Athletic where the holders and Division One leaders beat second-placed Broughton Hibs 4-3 after extra time. Alex Brown gave Hibs an early lead but goals either side of the break from Tom Keegan and Shaun Nolan turned the tie in Henleys’ favour. That looked to be enough to send them through but Andrew Porritt grabbed a late equaliser to send the tie into extra time, where Mark Raw and Keegan again put the holders in control. Alex Bennett ensured a tense finale by making it 4-3 with seven minutes left but Henleys hung on to book their place in the last eight.

There was more late drama at Newby Wiske where Northallerton Police needed a stoppage time goal from Johnny Morris to see off nine-man Stokesley SC. The Police led at the break thanks to an own goal but James Dillon brought Stokesley level midway through the second period.

The visitors were always going to be up against it when they had two men sent off in quick succession soon after although it was not until the 92nd minute that Morris’ header sent the Police through.

There was drama of a different kind at Travaux FC as visitors Catterick Village edged through 4-2 on penalties.

Goals in extra time from Travaux’s Pete Hurry and Catterick’s Adam Hodgkinson meant the sides could not be separated, but Dan Morris and Keiran French both missed for the hosts in the shoot-out meaning strikes from Karl Latchum, Rob Lister, Josh Woof and Stu Fotheringham sent Village through.

Sportsmans FC was in the goals as they thrashed Divison Two side Osmotherley FC 11-3. Colin Anderson struck four times while Aaron Ramsbottom scored a hat-trick and brother Andy hit two. Alex Caisley and a late Scott McNichol penalty then completed the rout while Rich Thompson struck a hat-trick of his own for Ossie.

Brompton-on-Swale avoided a shock as they triumphed 5-1 at Division Three side Bar One. The tie was as good as over before the break as goals from Dean Wilson, David Addison and Ali Logan made it 3-0, and while Bar did pull one back on the hour through Ben Wood, Martin Spink and Logan again ensured Brompton’s smooth progress.

The final tie of the round was a Romanby derby as Division Two side Golden Lion beat GLR of Division Three, 4-2. A goal from the Lion’s John Bell was all that separated the sides at the break but Craig Johns and Craig Chandler quickly made the tie safe. Sam McKerr did pull one back for GLR but Peter Thompson added a fourth for the Lion, meaning Sean McCaskill’s late effort was no more than a consolation.

􀁧 The draw for the quarterfinals has been made and is as follows; Catterick Village vs.

Sportsmans FC, Golden Lion, Romanby vs. Kildale, Robert Thompsons vs. Northallerton Police and Henleys Athletic vs.

Brompton-on-Swale. Ties to be played on Sunday, December 15.

In Division Two, there was a real thriller at Osmotherley Rangers as the hosts beat Topcliffe 7-5. Gareth Barber put the visitors ahead after just ten minutes but James Harrison, Graham Wrightson, Phil Hindson and Craig Collingwood had turned the match in Rangers favour inside half an hour. Matthew Lawley pulled one back for Topcliffe before the break but a Lee Holtby brace early in the second half, both created by Martyn Pugh, sealed the points. Topcliffe, who started the season unbeaten in six matches, have now lost three in a row despite late efforts from Adam Williams, Ollie Spence and a second from Barber.

West Tanfield are now three points clear at the top after a late 3-2 win at bottom side Streetlam Farmers. The hosts, without a win to their name all season, raced into a 2-0 lead inside twenty-five minutes but a hat-trick from Duncan Terry, the third of which only arrived in the last ten minutes, gave Tanfield another three points.

AFC Beckside saw their promotion hopes take a knock after being held to a 1-1 draw at ten-man Cowtons. The hosts were struggling with injuries and for a time were forced to play with just nine men, but despite going behind early on to a Neil MacGillivray goal for the Becksiders, a penalty from Dale Middleton ensured Cowtons were rewarded for their endeavours.

The Standard are looking a good bet for promotion from Division Three after a 4-1 success at Masons Arms. Dan Kilvington put the visitors ahead after 25 minutes, but a penalty from Dave Tennant soon had Masons level. However, Phil Wrighton restored the Standard’s advantage before the break while a Dan Waind penalty and a second for Wrightson sealed the points.

Farmers Arms are also in the promotion race after winning by the same score at Jolly Minister. The match was over as a contest before the break as Eddy Codd, with a brace, Lee White and Scott Ryan made it 4-0. The Ministermen rallied in the second period with a fine strike from Lee Elsworth but the Farmers comfortably held on to move up to fourth.

Masham are fifth after a 3-1 victory at Vale of York. Despite trailing at the break, goals from Jamie Nelson, Daniel Hare and Dan Scarth ensured Masham left with all three points.

County Arms are moving in the right direction after beating Knayton 3-0. Martin Larkin made the breakthrough six minutes into the second half before a late brace from Liam Frost sealed the points.


© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Darlington and Stockton Times: Site Logo http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/trade_directory/