Richmond Town 2 Boldon CA 2

A DRAW against Boldon beforehand would have been considered a decent result given the recent form of both teams, but having led 2-0 and conceding a 90th minute equaliser, this was hard to take for Richmond Town and their manager Chris Lax.

It's been a tough few weeks for the club. With players missing for a number of reasons and results going against Town, a number of new faces have joined and before the game Lax spoke a few words in the dressing room about his disappointment, and of what he expected from now on.

Whatever was said got a positive reaction as from the whistle they went on the attack with Adam Lee-Shield opening the scoring with only thirty seconds played.

From Michael Gunnell's throw he chested the ball down, turned and shot from just inside the area to give Richmond a dream start.

Ben Darville made it 2-0 with only seven minutes played when he gave Boldon keeper Andrew Hunter no chance from the penalty spot. Man of the match Gunnell having being brought down as he burst into the box towards goal.

Richmond had chances to extend their lead further through Scott Ryan who having been played in by Wayne Gredziak shot straight at Hunter when really he should have scored.

Gredziak then went close himself but Louis Benoit's free kick was headed just over.

Boldon reduced the deficit after half an hour through Tom West who lifted the ball into the net after Mark Walker had initially kept out Shaun Carroll.

Benoit then picked out Gredziak again who got to the ball just before the on rushing Hunter but it lacked power and was cleared off the line.

Both Gredziak and Ryan both had strong penalty appeals waved away by the referee after both had been brought down inside the box, and just before the interval Dave Gibson went close having tried his luck from near the left touchline.

Gredziak had the second half's first attempt at goal from twenty five yards, and Ryan again should have scored when Benoit's ball over the top fell perfectly for him to run onto but once more produced a poor finish.

Benoit had a shot himself, but having got the ball under control his shot was straight at Hunter then a Gunnell cross was deflected wide by substitute Jack Lawton with Ryan ready to pounce unmarked at the back post.

With the game in its final moments and Richmond looking to see the game out, Boldon had a rare attack from which Stephen Telford fired over Walker into the net to earn his team a share of the points, which Boldon Manager Paul Mossa was more than happy to take after the game.

Richmond can be pleased with this performance against a Boldon team with eyes on a title push this season, but must start taking the chances they are providing week after week.

Richmond are at home again this Saturday with Wolviston the opposition. Kick Off at Earls Orchard is at 14.30.