Final score: Northallerton Town 2 Willington 0

NORTHALLERTON TOWN are enjoying their best start to a season for 18 years as this hard fought win over old foes Willington last Saturday made it five games unbeaten in all competitions.

In a game of very few chances, Colin Anderson came close for Town in the 17th minute when his header went narrowly over the top, while at the other end, only a fine save from goalkeeper Matty Calvert denied Sam Joyce.

But midway through the first half Town grabbed the lead.

Jimmy Muir’s long range effort forced a corner and Anderson flicked the ball on for Aaron Ramsbottom to head in his 5th goal of the season.

Willington came out strongly at the start of the second half but it was Town who were creating the better chances. Martin Butterworth was denied by visiting goalkeeper Stephen Robinson while Anderson headed wide when he really ought to have hit the target.

However, Town did grab a second four minutes from time to finally seal the points. Stu Hardy did well down the left and his low cross was turned home by substitute Ross Teasdale to make it four wins in five games for a buoyant Town.

Darlington RA 2 Northallerton Town 1 NORTHALLERTON TOWN’S unbeaten start to the season was brought to a dramatic end at local rivals Darlington RA on Bank Holiday Monday as a late brace from Mark Sims gave the hosts victory.

Town arrived looking to improve a run of only one defeat in the last 14 meetings with the RA and they grabbed the lead on 20 minutes. Aaron Ramsbottom, already with five goals in five games, added another when he was left unmarked to head home a Lee Farrington corner.

Town looked to gain control at the start of the second half as former RA man Jimmy Muir was denied by goalkeeper Peter Wakefield. Danny McLachlan then brought an even better stop from Wakefield who somehow managed to tip his effort onto the post. And that proved to be the turning point.

Sam England had already seen an effort cleared off the line by Muir when Sims, who had a scored a hat-trick at the weekend, was on target again to make it 1-1 with twenty minutes remaining. Then, just four minutes later, a mistake at the back from Jason Newall allowed the RA striker time to again beat goalkeeper Matty Calvert.

The margin of victory could been even greater at the death when England got clear but with only Calvert to beat he shot wide and it finished 2-1.