HEXHAM motorcycle racer Graeme Gowland and his Smiths Triumph Racing Team maintained station at the top of the Motorpoint British Supersport Championship following Oulton Park last weekend when he scored a brace of podiums.

Gowland, from Allendale, qualified on pole position for Saturday’s 10-lap Sprint race and with glorious conditions prevailing, slotted into lead for the first five laps. Sadly for him, he slipped back in the second half of the race, dropping back to third but with another rider suffering a technical problem on the last lap, Gowland trailed Australian team-mate Billy McConnell home in second.

Sunday’s Feature race was held in difficult, damp conditions and a five-lap period under the safety car, due to a first lap crash, meant it ended up being a ten lap dash for the flag. Gowland held sway in the early stages aboard the factory-supported Triumph Daytona 675R but couldn’t resist a charging Alastair Seeley.

Gowland took third meaning he now leads his teammate McConnell by one point with Seeley three points further back in third going into next weekend’s bank holiday meeting at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire.

Also in action in the two Supersport races was South Shields rider Josh Corner who finished 18th in Saturday’s action aboard his MJJ Alpha Paints Kawasaki, claiming sixth in the Evo class in the process.

Fellow Tynesider Joe Burns claimed a seventh place finish in the Pirelli Superstock 1000 race aboard his JG Speedfit Kawasaki with Guisborough’s Dennis Hobbs, now resident in Scotland, posting a pair of second place finishes in the Ducati TriOptions Cup races.

Bishop Auckland MCE British Superbike star Barry Burrell had a tough weekend at the Cheshire track. Fifth fastest to start the weekend’s opening race, Burrell battled all race long to end up in 13th place to add to his recent points tally.

However, Sunday’s inclement weather cause problems for Barry and he ended up retiring in both races.

  • The Redcar Bears speedway team was in action against Berwick Bandits last week and despite being 10 points down by heat 12, the Bears pulled points back to lose by only six, ending the meeting 42 – 48.