Inshore Fisheries Langbaurgh League

FOR the fifth time this summer there was major weather disruption to the league programme, with just one game managing to reach a conclusion in Division One, and two in Division Two.

Hutton Rudby were the team to profit in the top flight, their victory at Broughton enabling them to leapfrog their beaten opponents in the table and move out of the bottom two.

Broughton took first knock and made their way to a total of 177-8 in 36 overs, a long break in play following a heavy downpour then forcing the home team’s hand into making a declaration to keep the game alive.

Mark Lewis (59) was the main man for Broughton, with James Harding (38) providing valuable support, while Ian Reed was the pick of the Rudby attack registering figures of 3-55.

The declaration left Rudby with 29 overs to chase down the target, but they needed just 23.1 as Matt Brown (66) and Sam Gawthorpe (56) put the home attack to the sword, with victory achieved with seven wickets to spare.

It’s now Broughton who languish in the relegation zone.

The tag of unluckiest team on the day undoubtedly went to East Harlsey, who were a mere eight runs short of victory at Moorsholm when the rain arrived in sufficient quantity to save Moor’s bacon.

Harlsey’s bowlers were in tremendous form with Dave Willey bowling an unchanged spell of 13 overs, including seven maidens, and taking 5 for 14, while first change bowler Alex Walls chipped in with 4 for 26 from just 7.5 overs as the home team were skittled for just 59. The innings went into a rapid downward spiral once Liam Crooks (34) was dismissed, with the last nine wickets falling for 15 runs.

Appropriately enough there were six ducks. With the storm clouds threatening Chris Ward (26) and Rob Bellerby (26 not out) launched 8 fours and 2 sixes between them in the frantic race to beat the approaching storm, but with Harlsey poised for victory on 52 for 1 after 8 overs the heavens opened.

Meanwhile in Division Two, two games reached a conclusion.

Ingleby Greenhow restricted Hutton Rudby’s second string to 92 for 7 in 40 overs thanks mainly to Michael Fawcett’s 4 for 19, and then Steve Ollis led the 17 over charge to a nine wicket win with an unbeaten 49.

Hartlepool Power hosted Thimbleby and it was the home team who claimed the spoils. Anthony Hart (37) and Stuart Shields (34) were the mainstays of their total of 157, with James Randle bagging 5 for 48 with his mystery spin for the visitors.

Shields then capped a fine all-round performance by taking 5 for 48 to see the home side through with 12 runs to spare.