Hambleton League: Sportmans secure place in Bainbridge cup final

4:41pm Friday 21st March 2014

SPORTSMANS FC will face Northallerton Police in the final of the Frank Bainbridge Cup next month after they beat Robert Thompsons 4-0 in last Sunday’s semi-final. Two goals in two minutes midway through the first half from Sam Grainger and Aaron Ramsbottom put the Sporties in control, while Stephen Jackson and a penalty from substitute Shaun Lambert sealed their place in the final.

In Division One, Henleys Athletic kept alive their title hopes with a 2-0 home win over Broughton Hibs. Second half goals from Mark Raw and Mark Hemingway sealed the points to move Henleys level with leaders Northallerton Police, although they have played two games more.

Kildale eased their relegation worries with a 4-2 home win over fellow-strugglers Northallerton WMC. Alex Grainge and Wayne Stephenson put the hosts in control before Nathan Hemingbrough reduced the Workies deficit before the break. However, Joe Marsay and Thomas Nicholls sealed the points before Mikey Stevens grabbed a late Workies consolation. Kildale are now 12 points clear of the drop zone with only six matches left to play.

Stokesley SC are now all but safe after a goal from Andrew Murphy gave them a 1-0 win over a Travaux FC side who remain third from bottom.

In Division Two, Bromptonon- Swale remain top after a hard-fought 1-0 home success against Golden Lion. A game ruined by the strong wind was decided by a Chris Pickersgill strike ten minutes from time.

Having played more games than most of the chasing pack however, Brompton’s title hopes are now very much out of their hands.

Ainderby SC could pinch the title after they thrashed second- placed AFC Beckside 5-1.

Early goals from John Dolan and Kyle O’Gorman set Ainderby on their way, while Sam Logan, Will Stevenson and a second for O’Gorman sealed the points in the second half.

Scott Healey scored a late Beckside consolation. Ainderby are now just four points off the top with three games in hand. Although still second, Beckside have now completed all their fixtures.

West Tanfield, who led the table for a spell before Christmas, now look in danger of missing out on promotion completely after a 2-1 home defeat by Catterick Village.

The visitors broke the deadlock with a goal from Adam Hogdkinson ten minutes into the second half but Tanfield drew level with a free kick from Karol Ratajzcak, 15 minutes from time. However, Village won it with an 86th minute strike from Gav Rudd and they could yet figure in the title race; they are now nine points off the top with four games in hand.

Three Coopers are another side with title ambitions after they thrashed Osmotherley Rangers 5-0. Mark Patchett and Johnny Reyner put Coopers in control before the break, while Ross Hodgson, Reyner and Stu Adams completed the scoring in the second half. Coopers are now eight points off the top with three games in hand.

Topcliffe continue their slide down the table after a 3-2 defeat at Cowtons. Andrew Butler and Duncan Padget were on target for Topcliffe, who led the table in the autumn, but Mark Forrest, Mark Sims and an own goal gave Cowtons the points to lift them above their visitors into seventh place.

Osmotherley FC appear safe after a 5-1 win at bottom side Streetlam Farmers. Requiring snookers to stay up, the Farmers capitulated in the second half as Ossie got the points they needed to move clear of the bottom three. A Lee Holtby goal was all that separated the sides at the break but Craig Collingwood and another two from Holtby to complete his hat-trick - all created by man of the match Phil Hindson - ended the match as a contest by the hour. Shaun Harrison then completed the scoring in the closing stages.

Brompton FC are just three points away from the Division Three title after a 2-1 home victory over GLR Romanby.

Andrew Sowerby scored for the visitors in the first half but Adam Wilson and a penalty from Craig Johnston gave Brompton the points. A win over The Standard in their final match next weekend will give them the title.

Bar One are still in contention after a 4-1 win over Masham. Paul Humphreys and Dean Hill put Bar in control by the break, while Humphreys and Dean Kenningley sealed the points in the second half. Sam Gill scored the late Masham consolation.

To pinch the title, Bar need to win their final two matches and hope Brompton slip up.

Masons Arms and County Arms shared eight goals in a thriller at Stonecross. County led with a goal from Brad King but Roy Smith and Dave Tennant turned the match in Masons’ favour by the break.

Chris Foster and Liam Stockill then looked to have given County the points, but Adrian Tennant brought Masons level again with just six minutes remaining.

However, in a thrilling finale, Foster fired County ahead again only for Mark Fowler to grab a lastgasp Masons equaliser as it finished a breathless 4-4.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Darlington and Stockton Times: Site Logo http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/trade_directory/