Rosedale are soundly beaten by title holders

3:11pm Friday 7th February 2014

LAST Saturday saw five games played and five games postponed in the Beckett League.

In Division One, Sinnington entertained Rosedale and won 4-0 to move up into third place with games in hand.

The Sinners remain unbeaten in the league as they bid and retain their league title, but so far they have dropped eight points having recorded four draws in the league so far in their ten league games played.

The Sinners took a first-half lead when Adam Stephens scored, with second-half goals from David Wilkinson (2), and Lee Mitchell.

Duncombe Park switched their home game to Heslerton’s venue with Heslerton worthy 4-0 winners. They move up to sixth place in the table after scoring twice in each half.

Ross Flinton opened the goalscoring for Heslerton midway in the first half, with Simon Oxendale scoring to double his side’s lead two minutes before the interval.

In the second half an own goal after good work by Robbie Preston and Wayne Pilmoor with Pilmoor completing the goalscoring ten minutes from the end of a well contested game.

In the Panasonic League Division Two Cup, the games between Kirkdale Utd and Easingwold Town 3rds, and Slingsby v Heslerton Reserves who both postponed, owing to waterlogged pitches.

Settrington were at home to Rillington Athletic Reserves with the game switched to Rillington.

The game ended goal-less after 90 minutes to force a penalty shoot-out.

Rillington went first with Lee Oxendale’s effort well saved by the Settrington keeper Viktor Kovacs, Dec Copland scored for Settrington.

Shaun Ward went second for Rillington and again Kovacs saved, Nick Bell stepped forward for Settrington and scored. Richard Malthouse took Rillington’s third penalty and once again Kovacs saved superbly, Chris Duckworth stepped forward for Settrington to score for Settrington to win 3-0 and move into the second round when they will face Wombleton Wanderers at home next month.

In the Ryedale Hospital Cup, the two semi-finals were both played on Saturday.

Ryedale Sports Club Reserves switched their game with Union Rovers to Union’s Norton College pitch with Union Rovers worthy 2-0 winners thanks to second half goals scored by Anthony Taylor with a header following a Ben Webster cross after 60 minutes, ten minutes later Taylor turned provider when he crossed the ball for Nicky Drew to score with a header.

The Ryedale Hospital Cup final will be contested between Union Rovers and Thornton-le-Dale who beat Kirkbymoorside Reserves in a dramatic penalty shoot-out 5-4 after the game ended 1-1.

The Moorsiders started the better at Thornton-le-Dale, and took the lead after 15 minutes when Lee Nesfield scored from six yards after Jason Brown had crossed the ball following a well worked move by the Moorsiders. As the interval approached Dale came back into the game, creating a couple of half chances which came to nothing.

In the second half ,the Moorsiders’ teenage keeper Will Smith made two very good saves to prevent David Elliot scoring. The all-important equaliser arrived after 73 minutes when Danny Russell won the ball and found Rory Lancaster whose low drive found Taryn Midgley to score.

No further goals were scored so a penalty shoot-out was the order of the day.

The Moorsiders went first with Shaun Cox scoring, Rory Lancaster went first for the home side and scored, Lee Nesfield took the second kick for the Moorsiders and scored, David Elliot equalised for the Dale. Jordan Rivis took the third Moorsiders kick and sent his kick well over the crossbar, Chris Sellars took the third kick for the Dale and scored who now lead 3-2.

Player/manager Andrew Ferguson took the Moorsiders fourth kick and scored, Paul Simpson scored for the Dale, Jason Brown scored for the Moorsiders and Taryn Midgley was on target for Thornton- le-Dale’s fifth and final kick for his team to win 5-4.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Darlington and Stockton Times: Site Logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory