Beckett League: Bagby and Balk seal victory at Gillamoor

4:27pm Friday 17th January 2014

THE Beckett League got all ten league and cup games played last Saturday.

There were two first division games played which were both away wins for Bagby and Balk at Gillamoor and Sinnington at Duncombe Park.

Gillamoor entertained Bagby & Balk with the visitors scoring twice in each half to win 4-1 thanks to all four goals scored by Martin Kendall, Gillamoor’s goal was scored in the second half by skipper Andrew Claughton.

Duncombe Park entertained Sinnington with the Sinners worthy 7-2 winners, their first win in 90 minutes since mid- November which acts as a confidence boost for tomorrow’s Scarborough & District FA District Cup quarter-final with Newland Park. The Sinnington goals were scored by Lee Mitchell and Luke Clemmit two goals each, plus a goal each for Rob Atkinson, David Wilkinson, and Toby Edwards.

Ed Fawcett and Cory Taylor scored for Duncombe Park.

In division two, Union Rovers 2nds entertained Kirkdale United which was second v third in the second division, Kirkdale won 3-2 and swap places with their hosts for Kirkdale United to move up into second place and Union Rovers are now third.

A goal-less first half was followed with a five goal feast in the second half with Kirkdale collecting the three points to maintain their promotion challenge. The Kirkdale goals were scored by Jonathan Wheeldon, Michael Bumby, and Alex Croall. Ashley Cooke and Richard Abbey scored for Union Rovers.

Settrington moved up into fourth position with a 3-1 away win at Norton United in an even game, Danny Lewis opened the goalscoring to put Settrington ahead after 25 minutes, he scored a second ten minutes later, five minutes before half time Danny Hamilton scored for Norton United but a “solo” Harry Thistleton goal restored Settrington’s two goal advantage five minutes from time.

Rillington Athletic Reserves had their third League win of the season on Saturday beating Easingwold Town 3rds 2-0, Lee Oxendale opened the goalscoring in the first half, Mark Cass doubled the score in the second half.

A rare goal-less draw saw Thornton-le-Dale Reserves and Snainton Reserves collect a point each from and end to end most enjoyable game enjoyed by both sides, both sides agreed that a draw was a fair result and Snainton were just so happy to keep a clean sheet.

Pickering Knights had a good 4-3 home win against Heslerton Reserves in a seven goal thriller. The knights stunned their visitors by taking a three goal first half lead with goals scored by Steve Carter tap-in after three minutes following good work by Graham Atkinson, a 20 yard unstoppable right foot free kick after 8 minutes taken by James Jeavons doubled his sides score and Carter set-up Greg Fawcett to score ten minutes before half time.

Heslerton stepped up their game in the second half, Mikey Clark pulled a goal back on the hour mark, two minutes later Steve Carter scored for the Knights with a 25 yard volley, Heslerton never gave up and came back to almost snatch a point with further goals scored by Lee Timms after 67 minutes and Liam Bradley after 75 minutes to set-up a very entertaining last 15 minutes.

However, the Knights held out for the victory but credit goes to Heslerton for never giving up in such an enjoyable game.

In the Ryedale Hospital Cup, Thornton-le-Dale visited Slingsby in the quarter final of the Ryedale Hospital Cup and join Union Rovers, Ryedale SC Reserves, and Kirkbymoorside Reserves in the semi-final draw after winning 3-2 in a cracking cup tie.

The visitors Thornton-le- Dale took the lead after eight minutes when a good move involving Tim Hunt and Rory Lancaster allowed David Elliot to score a fine opening goal, Ten minutes later Scott Simpson equalised for Slingsby who the took the lead five minutes before half time when Jack Hopwood did well down the left wing but the ball was turned into goal by a Thornton- le-Dale player for an own goal, half time 2-1 to second division Slingsby.

Two minutes into the second half saw substitute Taryn Midgely score to level matters for the first division visitors, the game was now end to end, Thornton-le-Dale having most of the game but Slingsby were always dangerous on the break.

The winning goal arrived five minutes from the end when a second Midgely goal secured a semi-final place for his side.

Man of the match winners were Danny Nunwick shared the Slingsby award with Glyn Brown, super-sub Taryn Midgely won the Thornton-le- Dale award who also had David Elliot in impressive form.

Kirkbymoorside Reserves beat second division Wombleton Wanderers for the second successive week in a Gordon Harrison Memorial Trophy tie after Wombleton had knocked the Moorsiders out of the Scarborough & District FA Junior Cup in November.

Last week the Moorsiders Reserves won 2-0 thanks to a brace by Jordan Rivis scored a goal in each half, Wombleton had their chances but once again they were not at full strength with such a small squad.

Man of the match winners were Jordan Rivis (Kirkbymoorside Res), Paul Grayson (Wombleton Wanderers).

Heslerton entertain Union Rovers with the visitors worthy 4-0 winners thanks to goals scored by Dan Simpson 2 and Ben Webster in the first half, Grant Stephens wrapped the game up in the second half with an excellent goal.

Man of the match winners were Ross Flinton playing at centre half (Heslerton), Dan Simpson shared the Union Rovers award with fellow striker Ben Webster.

In a friendly match, Ryedale SC Reserves entertained Rosedale and won 4-0 in a keenly contested friendly played at Ryedale and enjoyed by both teams, Ryedale won 4-0 scoring twice in each half.

The first-half goals were scored by Matty Gardner and John Ellis, in the second half John Ellis and Tom Croot scored in the last ten minutes Man of the match winners were Martin Foulger (Ryedale SC), Lyle King in midfield (Rosedale), also in impressive form for Rosedale were the evergreen duo of Les Bargh and Steve Walker.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Darlington and Stockton Times: Site Logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory