HAWES United reached the final of the Medals Shield last Saturday after they overcame Richmond Buck Inn 4-2 in a dramatic semifinal at Colburn. After a tight, goalless first half, a mix up at the back between Paul Ramsay and goalkeeper Marc Briggs gifted Steve Calvert the chance to put in Hawes front. The tie looked over when Jordan Iveson made it 2-0 five minutes later, but quick goals from Mark Swanwick and David Addison brought the Buck level with less than three minutes remaining.

However, Wilf Dinsdale restored the Hawes advantage almost immediately before deep into stoppage time, and with Buck goalkeeper Briggs up for a corner, Calvert was able to seal victory on the break.

Defending champions Unicorn FC took advantage of Hawes’ cup involvement by going back to the top of the table with a 5-0 victory at Carperby Rovers. Liam Waller broke the deadlock after half an hour with a fine half-volley, while the returning Gary Nicholson made it 2-0 at the break after a mix up in the Rovers defence. Carl Handley headed the third, five minutes into the second half, before Nicholson added his second on the hour. Substitute Niall Spink completed the scoring ten minutes from time with his first touch after coming off the bench.

Catterick Garrison Football Centre remain fourth in the table following a 5-3 home success against rivals Catterick Rovers. Daniel Deeney gave the Garrison an early lead but Callum Plumb scored twice to put Rovers ahead.

However, three goals in ten minutes before the break from Craig Teasdale, Shane Constantine and Steven Files put the Garrison in control, before Jez Mortimer sealed the points in the second half.

Josh Frampton scored a late Rovers consolation.

Spennithorne and Harmby are fifth after beating struggling visitors Askrigg United 3-1. Adam Dinsdale scored in each half before Joe Dickens sealed the points eight minutes from time.

Improving Richmond Town Academy won for only the third time this season as a late goal from leading scorer Ryan Howe, his eighth of the season, gave them a 1-0 home victory over Reeth.