LEAGUE leaders Hawes United roared into 2014 with a 10-2 thrashing of Askrigg United last Saturday.

The match was over long before half time as Wilf Dinsdale scored four times while Jordan Iveson, Jonathon Champion and a brace from Steve Calvert made it 8-0.

Hawes made changes in the second half but Dinsdale added a fifth before Champion grabbed his 20th goal of the season and Calvert missed a penalty which would have given him a hat-trick. Askrigg scored late on through George Handley and Ben Fawcett.

Defending champions Unicorn FC are not about to give up their title without a fight however, and they remain second after a 4-0 win at Reeth. A penalty from Gav Armstrong, awarded for a 26th minute foul on Matthew Thomas, was all that separated the sides at the break but the champions showed their class in the second half. Substitute Carl Handley doubled their advantage just past the hour while Armstrong and Luke Dent then completed the scoring in the closing stages.

While Unicorn remain two points off the top they have played a game more.

Richmond Buck Inn lead the chasing pack as they made it six wins in a row with a 2-1 victory at neighbours Richmond Mavericks Reserves.

Mickey White made the breakthrough ten minutes into the second half but James Laws brought the hosts level soon after with his third goal of the season. However, the Buck, and White in particular, would not be denied and it was the veteran striker who grabbed the winner ten minutes from time.

Catterick Garrison Football Centre are fourth as they came behind to win 2-1 at fading Spennithorne and Harmby. Joe Dickens gave the hosts a half time advantage and that was the way it stayed until the final 12 minutes when goals from Jez Mortimer and Daniel Deeney gave Catterick the points.

Colburn Town continue to climb the table as goals in either half from their deadly duo of Stu Murray and Tom Sweeney saw off the challenge of bottom side Richmond Town Academy. The pair have now scored 46 goals between them this season.

At the bottom of the table, it was a good day for Catterick Rovers who beat Carperby Rovers 3-2. Lee Fyfe gave Catterick a 17th minute lead but John Pickard brought Carperby level just three minutes later.

However, Catterick took control after the break as Chris Andrew and Darren Smith sealed the points before substitute Callum Smith grabbed a late Carperby consolation.