NORTHALLERTON Ladies were beaten in their opening game of 2014, losing 7-3 at Kington-upon-Hull Seconds on Saturday.

The home team started the game at a fast pace, and scored with a reverse-stick effort after five minutes.

Northallerton equalised a short time later when Sarah Hope’s effort rebounded to Jo Robinson, whose shot was deflected in by Lauren Stewart.

Hull went ahead for a second time, before Hope pulled Northallerton level with a superb goal following a strong run.

As the match went on, Hull began to take control, with their swift passing and movement leading to a series of chances. Lisa Wayman in the Northallerton goal saved a penalty stroke, but Hull scored three times to take the game away from Northallerton before half-time.

Northallerton started the second period brightly, with player-of-the-match Robinson driving the team forward from midfield.

Hope pulled a goal back with an accurate shot from a tight angle, and Robinson twice went close to scoring as Northallerton enjoyed a good spell of possession.

But the Hull defence held firm, and their forwards added two more goals in the closing stages to make the final score 7-3.

  • THIRSK LADIES were in action against Driffield who started the better, going 2-0 up before half-time. Thirsk fought back on the second half with determination and applied the pressure. With perseverance in the attacking D, Thirsk were awarded a penalty flick from Hannah Rodgers who pulled one back in a 4-1 defeat.

Thirsk Ladies Seconds were in dominant form against Huddersfield Dragons and went 3-0 up by half-time.

An even more attacking formation brought a glut of goals for a final 12-0 victory. Scorers were Holly Oldham (3), Nicky Young (3), Anna Durkin (2), Jo Lightfoot (2), Bev Petty and Georgina Watkiss. Player of the match was awarded to Anna Durkin.

Thirsk Men’s Seconds played a very experienced York side and goals from Nick Edwards and Jake Bowers saw them go in at 2-2 draw at half-time. Nick pulled Thirsk level again following a York lead but the opposition pushed on and took a two-goal advantage. Again Thirsk fought back with two goals from Charlie Whitfield but York had the final say with a goal in the last two minutes.

Thirsk Tornados faced Bradford and Harry Collinson broke the deadlock to put Thirsk 1-0 up. Harry doubled their lead in the second half and scored his hat-trick following a good cross from Oliver Houseman. Charlie Hynes rattled in the fourth to give Thirsk a 4-0 victory.

Thirsk U16 Boys were also in action and Harry Collinson secured a 1-0 victory in the final minutes of match one against Driffield. Match two saw Thirsk fall behind by two goals but two strikes from Jack Holland brought a 2-2 draw. It looked like a similar result in match three against Bradford when Dan Lawson and Liam Shannon pulled Thirsk back to a 2-2 draw, but Bradford scored a late goal to clinch victory.