Hambleton League: League leaders Henleys are trounced in cup

12:19pm Monday 6th January 2014

LAST Sunday saw the quarterfinals of the Frank Bainbridge Division One Cup and both Northallerton Police and holders Sportsmans FC made it through to the last four.

The Police beat league leaders Henleys Athletic 6-0. Graham Caygill and Sam Vernalls put the Police in control inside the opening ten minutes and despite chances at both ends that was the way it remained at half time. Vernalls then added his second early in the second half before Ben Darville made it 4-0. Gary Sharda and Caygill completed the scoring.

Sportsmans FC beat Blue Star 5-2. Shaun Charlton gave Star an early lead but a quickfire brace from Colin Anderson and a strike from Aaron Ramsbottom turned the tie in the Sporties favour before the break. Scott McNichol then scored from two set pieces in the second half before Tom James grabbed a late Star consolation.

Broughton and Kirkby Hibs are also through after Stokesley SC, were thrown out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player in the previous round.

In the Bob Seymour Division Two Cup, league leaders West Tanfield reached the last four after a 8-5 victory over Osmotherley Rangers. The tie looked all over within 35 minutes as Rafal Kochanski scored four times to give Tanfield a 4-0 lead. But Rangers staged a fine comeback to take the tie into extra time with goals from Joe Starkie, Rich Thompson, Matty Ranson and Jay Hibbins. Steve Lofthouse then restored the Tanfield advantage in the first extra period before Martin Mason scored twice to put them 7-4 ahead. Thompson kept Rangers hopes alive with his second soon after but Mason completed an extra time hattrick to send Tanfield through.

Three Coopers and Catterick Village both scored eight times to reach the semi finals.

Coopers beat Cowtons 8-2. An own goal opened the floodgates before Phil Parker and a brace from Danny Dale ended the tie as a contest before the break. Dale struck twice more in the second half, and while Scott Fenney and Mark Sims both found the target for Cowtons, Jack Reynard and Leon Roberts completed the rout in the closing stages.

Meanwhile, goals from John Bell and Iain Summerson were not enough to prevent Golden Lion, Romanby crashing out by the same scoreline against Catterick Village.

Osmotherley FC make up the last four after a 3-2 win at Topcliffe. Wayne Allen scored a first half hat-trick to send Ossie through. Mark Watson and Luke Burnett replied for Topcliffe.

In Division Two, Bromptonon- Swale saw their long winning league run brought to an end by visitors Ainderby SC, who won 3-1. Chris Pickersgill gave Brompton an early lead but Carl Armstrong and Kyle O’Gorman put Ainderby ahead by the break. Mark Shepherd then sealed the points on the break ten minutes from time.

AFC Beckside won 3-0 at Streetlam Farmers thanks to goals from Neil MacGillivray, James Briggs and Martyn Stubbings.

In the Division Three Scorpion Cup, Bar One eased into the last four with a 5-2 win at Masons Arms. Dean Hill opened the scoring for Bar inside five minutes and although Roy Smith soon had Masons level after good play from Dave Young, a brace from Ben Wood and second half efforts from Andy Anderson and Nathan Wakeling sealed Bar’s passage. Young then scored a late Masons consolation.

Knayton are also through after a 4-1 win at Farmers Arms. The goals arrived in the first half as Andrew Parkinson struck twice for Knayton along with a Ryan Clarke effort and an own goal. Matty Raw scored for the Farmers.

County Arms won by the same scoreline at Northern Dons. The tie was over by the break as Matty Fowler scored twice and Chris Foster made it 3-0. Paul Ward pulled a goal back for the Dons but Martin Larkin completed the scoring 20 minutes from time.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Darlington and Stockton Times: Site Logo http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/trade_directory/