UNICORN FC maintained their three-point lead at the top of the table last Saturday as goals from Mark Cobb and Ryan Crowther gave them a 2-0 victory at Spennithorne and Harmby.

The hosts were the better side for much of the first half but Cobb put Unicorn ahead in the 14th minute when he turned home a cross from Darren Enright.

The league leaders and defending champions played much better in the second half and sealed the points on the hour when Crowther diverted a free kick from Paul Brown into the net.

Hawes United warmed up for their title showdown with Unicorn this weekend with a hard-fought 1-0 success at improving Richmond Town Academy. Wilf Dinsdale had struck the woodwork in the first half of a match Hawes dominated throughout but it took a late goal from Steve Calvert to finally give the visitors the points they deserved.

Richmond Buck Inn lead the chasing pack after a 5-1 win at Catterick Rovers. Gary Eggleston curled home a free kick to give the Buck a narrow half time advantage but Rovers were level within five minutes of the restart with a breakaway goal from Trevor Sakong. However, Mickey White restored the Buck lead with a neat finish five minutes later and he quickly added a second from the penalty spot after substitute Martin Peacock had been brought down in the area. Stu Fotheringham then made it 4-1 before White completed his hat-trick – taking his tally to seven in the last two matches.

Richmond Mavericks Reserves saw their title hopes suffer a blow as they threw away a 3-1 half time lead to draw 3-3 at in-form Colburn Town. Top scorer Mark Sims struck twice for the Mavs while an own goal made it 3-1 at the break – after Tom Sweeney had earlier brought Colburn level. But Stu Murray scored twice in the second half to give the hosts a share of the spoils.

Catterick Garrison Football Centre returned to top form as a brace from Neil Wright and a goal from Jez Mortimer gave them a 3-0 win at Reeth.

Wright scored at the beginning and end of the first half to put Catterick in control, while Mortimer then completed the scoring on the hour.

At the bottom of the table, Carperby Rovers beat visitors Askrigg United 3-0. John Pickard broke the deadlock midway through the first half, while Paul Stevenson and Mark Percival sealed a comfortable Rovers victory after the break.