LAST Sunday saw the remaining League Challenge Cup quarter-finals take place and the results went as expected.

Northallerton Police edged past fellow Division One side Robert Thompsons 3-1. After a goalless first half, the Police took a 53rd minute lead when Graham Caygill robbed a defender and ran through to slot home. Thompsons were level soon after through Lee McKendry but the Police would not be denied another semi final appearance as late goals from Ben Darville and Caygill again sealed their passage to the last four.

Kildale are also through after a 6-2 win at Division Two side Golden Lion. Shaun Armstrong gave Lion an early lead but the tie was over by the break as Kildale hit back with a first half hat-trick from Wayne Stephenson, a brace from Stephen Pennock and a strike from Alex Grainge. With the tie won, Kildale eased off in the second hal and Lion scored a consolation through Craig Chandler.

In Division One, Broughton and Kirkby Hibs moved back into the top three with a 6-0 victory at struggling Travaux FC. A goal from James Mathias was all that separated the sides at the break but once Mathias had doubled their lead within five minutes of the restart there was only going to be one winner. Alex Bennett, Paul Storey and Andrew Porritt soon made it 5-0 before Mathias completed his hattrick 10 minutes from time.

Blue Star thrashed Appleton Wiske 9-1 to move up to 5th.

Lee Johnson and Steve MacVean set the tone with goals in the opening 10 minutes, while a Tom James brace made it 4-0 at the break.

James scored twice more in the second half while a brace from Shaun Charlton and a second from Johnson sealed a comfortable victory. Josh Newton scored the Appleton consolation.

Cowtons were the big movers at the top of Division Two as a 5-1 victory at Osmotherley Rangers lifted them into the top three. Jason Honeyman gave Rangers an early lead but Mark Forrest and Martin Clark had Cowtons in front by the break. Clark then added his second seven minutes after the restart before Anth Verity and Gerry Metcalfe sealed the points.

Topcliffe continue to drop out of the promotion race as they were beaten for the fifth time in six games - 6-0 at Ainderby SC. Kyle O’Gorman put the hosts in front early on but it was three goals in six minutes just before the break that ended the match as a contest.

Chris Hope scored twice while Will Stevenson made it 4-0 at half time. Gaz Lumley then added a fifth on the hour before Stevenson completed the scoring in the closing stages.

Elsewhere, Three Coopers and Streetlam Farmers drew 1-1. Johnny Reynor looked to have set Coopers on their way to three points when he gave them the lead after just six minutes but the Farmers hit back to ensure the spoils were shared.

Division Three leaders Brompton FC kept their double dreams alive as a 1-0 win at GLR Romanby sent them into the semi finals of the Scorpion Cup – Adam Wilson hitting the all-important goal five minutes before the break.

In the league, Bar One continued their pursuit of the leaders with a 5-1 home victory over Farmers Arms. Paul Humphreys scored twice in the first half while Steven Adamson made it 3-0 at the break. Paul Rudd then scored twice in the second period to seal the points before Ed Codd scored a last minute Farmers consolation.

Knayton are third after a 3-0 success at Masons Arms.

Sam Raynor and Matthew Fishburn scored either side of the break while Raynor then added his second three minutes from time.

The Standard remain in the promotion race after a 3-1 victory at Jolly Minister thanks to second half goals from ex-Ministerman Malcolm Heron(2) and Phil Sharpe. Defender Tommy Young replied for the hosts.

Bottom side Northern Dons are improving and they were minutes away for their picking up their first point of the season for the second week in a row. Paul Ward had given the strugglers the lead against County Arms midway through the first half but an own goal saw them pegged back before the break. That was the way it stayed until five minutes from time when Liam Stockill put County ahead but that was not quite the end of the drama as Ward saw a late effort harshly ruled out and it finished 2-1.

Masham’s promotion hopes took a knock when they were beaten 3-2 at home by Vale of York. Goals in each half from Sam Gill and Johnny Saviour were not enough as Vale scored three times to leave with the points.