Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Burnt after cutting cable
11:28am Friday 19th October 2012 in News
A MAN is in hospital with severe burns after attempting to cut through electricity cable.
Police say it is understood the 42-year-old man, from Fenby Avenue, Darlington, was cutting through a cable in an NEDL electrical compound when it exploded, sending 11,000 volts through his body.
He was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital after the incident, at about 2.45am yesterday, but was later transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle, where he was in a stable condition in the burns unit.
Detective Sergeant Sean Jackson, of Darlington police, said: “He has considerable burns to his body and the potential loss of some fingers. I hope this shows people how serious, if not fatal, cutting through cable can be.”
A 39-year-old Darlington man has been arrested in connection with the incident.