Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Restaurant owner band
9:58am Friday 12th October 2012 in News
THE owner of a restaurant that was closed twice in a year by environmental health officers has been banned from managing a food business after he failed to meet hygiene standards.
Chusak Phetmalaikul, the former managing director of Pawin Thai Ltd, which ran The Royal Thai Restaurant, in Parkgate, Darlington, admitted six breaches of food hygiene regulations at a hearing at Darlington Magistrates’ Court in September.
The court heard during an inspection in July, Darlington Borough Council environmental health officer Edward Whelan was “shocked” at the level of food hygiene at the premises and issued a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice, shutting it down temporarily.
His restaurant had already been temporarily shut in February this year due to high levels of carbon monoxide caused by a poorly-maintained Chinese cooking range and ventilation system.
At a hearing at Darlington Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Mr Phetmalaikul was handed a Hygiene Prohibition Order, preventing him from managing any food business for a minimum of six months. He also manages the Central Thai Resaurant and two food shops in Durham.
The business will now be managed by his wife, under the new name of Thai Corner. Amy Wennington, prosecuting on behalf of Darlington Borough Council, said: “The two prosecutions in such a relatively short space of time give the local authority concerns he isn’t an appropriate person to be managing a business of this nature.”
Mr Phetmalaikul was also fined £110 for each of the six offences and ordered to pay £287.50 costs with a £15 victim surcharge.