A SYMBOL of Second World War history has landed in the region ahead of a nostalgic flypast event today.
Thousands of enthusiasts are expected to attend the sold-out flypast.
Tomorrow's event will include a ceremony at the Mynarski statue, at St George Hotel, at 10.30am, with the Lancaster expected on the stand later in the morning.
Public access to the Lancaster will be granted for a time, with the flypast itself planned for 3pm.
It is possible there will be a second flypast later in the afternoon.
Thousands of Canadian airmen and ground crew served with the RAF and Royal Canadian Air Force during the war.
By late 1944, the Canadian No. 6 Group of Bomber Command operated thirteen squadrons of Lancasters in the war against Germany.
Middleton St George was home to the 419 (Moose) Squadron and the 428 (Ghost) Squadron.
In total 7,377 Lancasters rolled off the production lines in Britain and Canada, during World War Two.
Today, 17 Lancasters survive around the world, but only two are in flying condition…one which forms part of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial flight and today’s visitor, cared for at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Ontario.
The Museum's Lancaster Mk. X was built at Victory Aircraft, Malton, Toronto, in July 1945 and was later converted to a RCAF 10MR configuration.
In 1952, it suffered a serious accident and received a replacement wing centre section from a Lancaster that had flown in combat over Germany.
It was restored to air worthiness in 1988 and dedicated to the memory of Pilot Office Andrew Mynarski and is referred to as the “Mynarski Memorial Lancaster”.
It is painted in the colours of his aircraft KB726 – VR-A, which flew with RCAF No. 419 (Moose) Squadron.