Tributes paid to two "cracking lads" after double death crash near Barnard Castle

The scene of the accident

The scene of the accident

First published in News
Last updated
Darlington and Stockton Times: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter (Sedgefield)

THE charred scene of a car crash which claimed the lives of two friends has been turned into a roadside shrine.

Two young men died when the car they were travelling in hit a tree on a quiet country road near Barnard Castle in the early hours of Saturday morning. (August 16) The 21-year-old, from Barnard Castle, and his 27-year-old friend, from nearby Middleton-in-Teesdale, died at the scene.

Both men are understood to have been former pupils of Teesdale School, in Barnard Castle.

In respect of the families’ wishes The Northern Echo has decided to delay publication of their names.

But throughout Teesdale and at the scene of the accident, on Westwick Road, between the hamlet of Westwick and Whorlton village- friends and relatives of both men paid tribute to them.

The blackened grass verge and tree, which bare evidence of a fire that engulfed the vehicle after the collision, is covered in flowers and cards.

Friends recalled sharing good times, countless messages said both were ‘gone but never forgotten’ and another described them as ‘two cracking lads’.

Durham police have appealed for help to piece together the events leading up the collision.

Investigators believe the pair left Barnard Castle and travelled east towards Whorlton before the accident at around 3.17am, on Saturday.

It is believed that the car, a slate grey Audi A4 which appeared black to the naked eye, was the only vehicle involved.

Sgt Andy Sutherland, of the road policing unit, based at Spennymoor, said: “Officers are working closely with the families following this tragedy and want to find out what happened.

“I am particularly interested in hearing from anybody who witnessed the accident itself, the vehicle being driven in the immediate run up or alternatively anyone who has got any knowledge of the movements of the occupants before the accident.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Durham police’s collision investigation unit on 0191-3752159 or call the non emergency number 101 and quote reference DHM/16082014/0079.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:29am Sun 17 Aug 14

lovedarlo says...

god bless
Hope they were not speeding
god bless Hope they were not speeding lovedarlo
  • Score: -3

7:01am Sun 17 Aug 14

Triglet says...

Horrible road . My thoughts are with the family. R.I.P.
Horrible road . My thoughts are with the family. R.I.P. Triglet
  • Score: 13

9:45pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Triglet says...

lovedarlo wrote:
god bless
Hope they were not speeding
Lovedarlo,
would you mind but your comment is a little insensitive right now.
Kind Regards
[quote][p][bold]lovedarlo[/bold] wrote: god bless Hope they were not speeding[/p][/quote]Lovedarlo, would you mind but your comment is a little insensitive right now. Kind Regards Triglet
  • Score: -11

9:56pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Triglet says...

LUSTARD wrote:
only ones at v3.17 am will be poachers ,farm watch or drunks going home from barney round the quiet back roads
LUSTARD i really do hope to meet you in a back alley you low life .
[quote][p][bold]LUSTARD[/bold] wrote: only ones at v3.17 am will be poachers ,farm watch or drunks going home from barney round the quiet back roads[/p][/quote]LUSTARD i really do hope to meet you in a back alley you low life . Triglet
  • Score: -8

3:18pm Mon 18 Aug 14

LUSTARD says...

Triglet wrote:
LUSTARD wrote:
only ones at v3.17 am will be poachers ,farm watch or drunks going home from barney round the quiet back roads
LUSTARD i really do hope to meet you in a back alley you low life .
hope theirs no cover up like and quote triglet ,the 140mph plod taking a prisoner to court,
[quote][p][bold]Triglet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LUSTARD[/bold] wrote: only ones at v3.17 am will be poachers ,farm watch or drunks going home from barney round the quiet back roads[/p][/quote]LUSTARD i really do hope to meet you in a back alley you low life .[/p][/quote]hope theirs no cover up like and quote triglet ,the 140mph plod taking a prisoner to court, LUSTARD
  • Score: -2

3:43pm Mon 18 Aug 14

LUSTARD says...

LUSTARD wrote:
Triglet wrote:
LUSTARD wrote:
only ones at v3.17 am will be poachers ,farm watch or drunks going home from barney round the quiet back roads
LUSTARD i really do hope to meet you in a back alley you low life .
hope theirs no cover up like and quote triglet ,the 140mph plod taking a prisoner to court,
course triglet braggs his motorbike is fitted with a jammer to prevent speed cameras catching him and describes young lads in small fast cars as fat headed baseball cap wearing twerps trying to be a wigger, whatever that is.
[quote][p][bold]LUSTARD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Triglet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LUSTARD[/bold] wrote: only ones at v3.17 am will be poachers ,farm watch or drunks going home from barney round the quiet back roads[/p][/quote]LUSTARD i really do hope to meet you in a back alley you low life .[/p][/quote]hope theirs no cover up like and quote triglet ,the 140mph plod taking a prisoner to court,[/p][/quote]course triglet braggs his motorbike is fitted with a jammer to prevent speed cameras catching him and describes young lads in small fast cars as fat headed baseball cap wearing twerps trying to be a wigger, whatever that is. LUSTARD
  • Score: 1

10:01am Tue 26 Aug 14

sophsmama says...

Very sad news
Very sad news sophsmama
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree