A JUDGE spoke out against domestic abuse today - before allowing a bullying boyfriend walk free from court.

Wojciech Orchowski blamed his victim for the beatings and was told by a judge he had no insight into his crimes.

Yet the 38-year-old was given a suspended prison sentence despite attacking his partner four times in a week.

The woman was repeatedly punched and kicked by the drunken Darlington brute at her home in Middlesbrough last month.

After each assault, he was "contrite, begging for forgiveness and crying like a baby", said prosecutor David Crook.

Mr Crook said Orchowski was given bail after the first attack, and was ordered to stay away from the woman.

Teesside Crown Court heard he went to her home to apologise - and ended up punching and kicking her in the face.

On one occasion, he threw a dinner plate at his partner which caused a bruise below her breast, said Mr Crook.

She also suffered a cut above her lip, a broken tooth, bruises to her temple, forehead and arms, and grazed knees.

Robert Mochrie, mitigating, said Orchowski's six weeks in jail on remand "has served as a lesson to him".

He added: "The offending is indicative of a man who has embarked on a campaign of bullying behaviour.

"He does accept that whatever may or may not have happened between them, it was totally unacceptable to use violence."

Judge Peter Bowers said some of the comments made by Orchowski to a probation officer about the offences were "disturbing".

He added: "You continue to deflect blame for your violence onto your partner, and there is not much indication that you understand this sort of offending is unacceptable.

"Domestic violence is a serious matter. It is grossly under-reported, usually because the victim hopes you will change.

"It is time you faced your responsibilities and got a grip on your life. This was not an isolated offence. It is a course of conduct over a number of days."

Orchowski, of Borough Road, Darlington, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and putting a person in fear by harassment.

He was given a 15-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, with Probation Service supervision.