THE owners and site manager of a Grade II-listed property in Stockton have been fined a total of £5,240 after admitting carrying out building works without listed building consent.
Stockton Borough Council prosecuted the owner and site manager at Teesside Crown Court yesterday (Tuesday, August 12) under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act.
A council press release explained that on December 6, 2013, a planning officer noticed that works were being undertaken at the 170 year old property at 78 Norton Road.
The site was inspected and officers found that works were being carried out to convert the building into flats without proper permission.
In mitigation, the magistrates were told that the company said that the majority of the damage had been done prior to the company buying the building at auction.
The works carried out were necessary to ensure that the property was not damaged further as it had been broken into on two occasions and water had leaked into the property.
The owners were fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £500 towards costs and a victim surcharge of £120 and the site manager was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £500 towards costs and a victim surcharge of £120.
Stockton Council’s cabinet member for regeneration and transport, Councillor Mike Smith, said: “ I hope this case will act as a warning that any unauthorised changes to listed buildings are not tolerated.”