DURHAM Tees Valley Airport’s train station remains the country’s least used, according to the latest passenger figures.
Just eight people used the station in the months up to March 2013 – even fewer than the 14 passengers that used it the previous year.
The station has just two Northern Rail services a week, both on Sunday, which is the minimum required by law to keep it open.
It has suffered from a decline in passengers for several years as Durham Tees Valley Airport itself has seen passenger numbers drop from 900,000 at its heyday in 2006 to the 161,092 who used it last year.
TOP TEN LEAST USED STATIONS IN THE UK
1. Teesside Airport, Darlington 8
2. Coombe, Cornwall 48
3. Shippea Hill, Cambridgeshire 50
4. Barry Links, Angus (Scotland) 52
5. Kildonan, Highland (Scotland) 62
6. Buckenham, Norfolk 72
7. Elton & Orston, Nottinghamshire 72
8. Breich, West Lothian (Scotland) 102
9. Golf Street, Angus (Scotland) 112
10. Reddish South, Stockport 122