Council revises plans for thousands of homes following public consultation (From Darlington and Stockton Times)
Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DST to 80360 or email us
Darlington Borough Council revises plans for thousands of homes following public consultation
PLANS for thousands of new homes in a North-East town have been revised - after residents voiced their concerns during a consultation process.
Last summer, Darlington Borough Council received hundreds of responses to a consultation on its Making and Growing Places development plan, which highlights areas for potential development in the borough up to 2026.
The majority of comments came from residents living near potential housing developments, after the authority announced it must build about 5,800 new dwellings by 2026.
Following the consultation, planners have produced a revised draft policy, which includes plans for a further 400 dwellings.
Two options for a 350-dwelling development in the Harrowgate Hill area are also included in the new policy, which will include a new 315-place primary school and 26-place nursery.
The number of dwellings proposed for land to the east of Red Hall, Haughton and Great Burdon has increased from 250 to 600 and will form part of a new neighbourhood.
A number of dwellings are also proposed for the former Arts Centre site, Alexander Street and Blackett Road, land north of Red Hall and the former Ravensthorpe School site.
Following last year’s consultation, land at Carmel College, Glebe Road South and opposite the White Horse Pub, in Burtree Lane, is no longer included in the policy.
The number of proposed dwellings for the central park and town centre fringe areas has also reduced by around 400.
Steve Petch, the council’s place strategy manager, said the proposals were necessary to keep up with housing demand.
He said: “The issue for more houses is the same in Darlington as it is in the rest of the country.”
Members of Darlington council’s cabinet are recommended to approve the revised report at a meeting on Tuesday (April 29) and public consultation will run from May 23, to July 4.
Councillor Chris McEwan, the council’s cabinet member for economy and regeneration, said: “It is important that we find out what people think about these revised plans for where new housing should go, and that people affected by new proposed sites have the same opportunity to comment as people did last year on the initial proposed sites.
“New housing is essential to support our ambitions for economic growth and a better quality of life for all.”
Information on consultation events will be released in due course.
The documents will also be available online on the council's website.
Comments are closed on this article.