Six-year-old heartbroken after losing toy monkey, in Barnard Castle, which helps her overcome severe shyness

Parents search for distraught daughter's missing cuddly toy

Zoe Storey with her beloved cuddly toy George

Zoe Storey with her beloved cuddly toy George

First published in News
Last updated
Darlington and Stockton Times: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Wear Valley)

THE parents of a heartbroken six-year-old girl who lost her beloved cuddly monkey during a family day-trip are appealing for help in finding the toy.

Zoe Storey, from Sherburn Hill, near Durham City, has been inseparable from George the monkey since she was a toddler and uses the toy to help her overcome severe shyness.

The youngster has been distraught since the monkey went missing during a visit to Barnard Castle, on Good Friday, with her parents Sarah and David, and eight-year-old sister Imogen.

Mr and Mrs Storey cancelled their wedding anniversary plans on Saturday to create ‘missing’ posters which they delivered to several shops in Barnard Castle in the hope of finding George, who was last seen in Zoe’s possession as the family crossed the footbridge over the River Tees.

Mrs Storey said: “We said to her ‘keep tight hold of George’ as we crossed the bridge and from that point, we walked back up to the castle and past the mini-golf course.

“We were outside a shop when Zoe suddenly said ‘I haven’t got George’.

“He is the most well-loved toy and even gets clothes made for him by her grandma.

“Zoe is very shy and takes George everywhere.

“She has special permission from her headteacher to take him to school and she is never without him.

“He is a bit of comfort to her.”

The family spent more than two hours searching for the toy on Friday afternoon and Mrs Storey said his loss had cast a shadow over Zoe’s Easter weekend.

She said: “We had a bad night without him.

“The people of Barnard Castle have been great with us, but we haven’t heard anything in response to the posters.

“We have ordered another one off Ebay but it is not the same as the original George.

“Zoe is such a beautiful little girl, I am so gutted this has happened to her.

“We would love to get George back.”

Anyone who finds the toy is asked to call David Storey on 07968-994349 or email pudstorey@yahoo.com.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:05pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Time to grow up.
Time to grow up. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -17

12:55am Wed 23 Apr 14

darlopaul says...

Voice-of-reality wrote:
Time to grow up.
Are you real?! She's SIX years old for crying out loud!!
[quote][p][bold]Voice-of-reality[/bold] wrote: Time to grow up.[/p][/quote]Are you real?! She's SIX years old for crying out loud!! darlopaul
  • Score: 16

1:16am Wed 23 Apr 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Quite so. She is of school age - time for the safety blankets, and the thumb sucking to stop or risk being bullied. This namby pamby molly-coddling of children is what leads to others of the same age going to school unable to use a knife and fork, or a lavatory.
Quite so. She is of school age - time for the safety blankets, and the thumb sucking to stop or risk being bullied. This namby pamby molly-coddling of children is what leads to others of the same age going to school unable to use a knife and fork, or a lavatory. Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -13

6:25am Wed 23 Apr 14

cromwell1599 says...

Errr..............la
st seen while crossing the footbridge over the Tees ? Let me have a wild stab at this, in the river possibly ? Another ridiculous non story, have these people got nothing better to do ?
Errr..............la st seen while crossing the footbridge over the Tees ? Let me have a wild stab at this, in the river possibly ? Another ridiculous non story, have these people got nothing better to do ? cromwell1599
  • Score: -17

8:04am Wed 23 Apr 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

The parents should of said 'it is very sad we have lost George and we will try to find him for you' but acting like it is the end of the world is ridiculous. Disappointments and upsets are part of life and it would of been far better to play things down than keep things going. The bairn would have had a few tearful nights and gradually calmed down now it will drag on for weeks.
The parents should of said 'it is very sad we have lost George and we will try to find him for you' but acting like it is the end of the world is ridiculous. Disappointments and upsets are part of life and it would of been far better to play things down than keep things going. The bairn would have had a few tearful nights and gradually calmed down now it will drag on for weeks. OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: 1

10:03am Wed 23 Apr 14

Voice-of-reality says...

Old Biddy,
Weeks? Given the reaction so far - this will take years, counselling, and probably a court case (someone other than the child itself will be 'to blame' for the whole incident).
Old Biddy, Weeks? Given the reaction so far - this will take years, counselling, and probably a court case (someone other than the child itself will be 'to blame' for the whole incident). Voice-of-reality
  • Score: -9

11:31am Wed 23 Apr 14

SS says...

As a mam I do feel sorry for the little girl....but I agree with the context of the comments, even though some of them are a little harsh. When exactly would she give her toy up?? Would she still be taking it to junior school, senior school, college.....work. It needs to be used a life lesson. I'm not saying her mum and dad shouldn't replace it.......but play it down instead of building it up to something it isn't.
As a mam I do feel sorry for the little girl....but I agree with the context of the comments, even though some of them are a little harsh. When exactly would she give her toy up?? Would she still be taking it to junior school, senior school, college.....work. It needs to be used a life lesson. I'm not saying her mum and dad shouldn't replace it.......but play it down instead of building it up to something it isn't. SS
  • Score: 5

11:55am Wed 23 Apr 14

studio says...

Tell her that Santa doesnt exist, that should take her mind off it!

On a serious note, how is this news??
Tell her that Santa doesnt exist, that should take her mind off it! On a serious note, how is this news?? studio
  • Score: -1

1:26pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Durhamite1979 says...

I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...
I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10... Durhamite1979
  • Score: 12

1:31pm Wed 23 Apr 14

studio says...

Durhamite1979 wrote:
I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...
She`s 6, clue is in the headline!
[quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...[/p][/quote]She`s 6, clue is in the headline! studio
  • Score: 1

3:28pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Durhamite1979 says...

studio wrote:
Durhamite1979 wrote:
I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...
She`s 6, clue is in the headline!
I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...
[quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...[/p][/quote]She`s 6, clue is in the headline![/p][/quote]I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know... Durhamite1979
  • Score: 9

4:16pm Wed 23 Apr 14

studio says...

Durhamite1979 wrote:
studio wrote:
Durhamite1979 wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...
She`s 6, clue is in the headline!
I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...
Get off your high horse. I havnt misinterpreted at all. Your comment is worded incorrectly. Perhaps you should have put "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up by the time she is 10"

I do agree with you that children are growing up quicker, but thats just the way life is going, not just in the UK, all over the world. I also think the parents are taking things to far with this. Posters for a lost teddy, really? special permission to take the teddy to school, really? at what age will that stop?

I could go on all day as i have plenty of interesting comments that i could share with you, but i wont. To busy, I`m going up to Barnard Castle to rustle up some of the locals and start a Search party for George! :)
[quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...[/p][/quote]She`s 6, clue is in the headline![/p][/quote]I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...[/p][/quote]Get off your high horse. I havnt misinterpreted at all. Your comment is worded incorrectly. Perhaps you should have put "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up by the time she is 10" I do agree with you that children are growing up quicker, but thats just the way life is going, not just in the UK, all over the world. I also think the parents are taking things to far with this. Posters for a lost teddy, really? special permission to take the teddy to school, really? at what age will that stop? I could go on all day as i have plenty of interesting comments that i could share with you, but i wont. To busy, I`m going up to Barnard Castle to rustle up some of the locals and start a Search party for George! :) studio
  • Score: -7

10:41pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Durhamite1979 says...

studio wrote:
Durhamite1979 wrote:
studio wrote:
Durhamite1979 wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...
She`s 6, clue is in the headline!
I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...
Get off your high horse. I havnt misinterpreted at all. Your comment is worded incorrectly. Perhaps you should have put "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up by the time she is 10"

I do agree with you that children are growing up quicker, but thats just the way life is going, not just in the UK, all over the world. I also think the parents are taking things to far with this. Posters for a lost teddy, really? special permission to take the teddy to school, really? at what age will that stop?

I could go on all day as i have plenty of interesting comments that i could share with you, but i wont. To busy, I`m going up to Barnard Castle to rustle up some of the locals and start a Search party for George! :)
I knew I'd turn you... You could always tell them there's a fiver attached to it - find it in no time!

OK - micky taking stopped now - I meant kids in general, not just her, but I think we actually agree anyway!
[quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...[/p][/quote]She`s 6, clue is in the headline![/p][/quote]I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...[/p][/quote]Get off your high horse. I havnt misinterpreted at all. Your comment is worded incorrectly. Perhaps you should have put "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up by the time she is 10" I do agree with you that children are growing up quicker, but thats just the way life is going, not just in the UK, all over the world. I also think the parents are taking things to far with this. Posters for a lost teddy, really? special permission to take the teddy to school, really? at what age will that stop? I could go on all day as i have plenty of interesting comments that i could share with you, but i wont. To busy, I`m going up to Barnard Castle to rustle up some of the locals and start a Search party for George! :)[/p][/quote]I knew I'd turn you... You could always tell them there's a fiver attached to it - find it in no time! OK - micky taking stopped now - I meant kids in general, not just her, but I think we actually agree anyway! Durhamite1979
  • Score: 0

7:50am Thu 24 Apr 14

studio says...

Durhamite1979 wrote:
studio wrote:
Durhamite1979 wrote:
studio wrote:
Durhamite1979 wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...
She`s 6, clue is in the headline!
I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...
Get off your high horse. I havnt misinterpreted at all. Your comment is worded incorrectly. Perhaps you should have put "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up by the time she is 10" I do agree with you that children are growing up quicker, but thats just the way life is going, not just in the UK, all over the world. I also think the parents are taking things to far with this. Posters for a lost teddy, really? special permission to take the teddy to school, really? at what age will that stop? I could go on all day as i have plenty of interesting comments that i could share with you, but i wont. To busy, I`m going up to Barnard Castle to rustle up some of the locals and start a Search party for George! :)
I knew I'd turn you... You could always tell them there's a fiver attached to it - find it in no time! OK - micky taking stopped now - I meant kids in general, not just her, but I think we actually agree anyway!
Ha Ha! this is Barnard Castle we`re talking about, maybe make it a tenner! ;)

Yes, i think we do agree!
[quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: I'm glad I'm not one of your kids, you miserable bunch... Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10...[/p][/quote]She`s 6, clue is in the headline![/p][/quote]I can read thanks - you've misinterpreted my comment on the general pressure on children to grow up before their time "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up at 10" to be about her. Thanks for your help though. If you've anything remotely interesting to say, let me (and everyone else) know...[/p][/quote]Get off your high horse. I havnt misinterpreted at all. Your comment is worded incorrectly. Perhaps you should have put "Let her stay a kid for a bit longer instead of being grown up by the time she is 10" I do agree with you that children are growing up quicker, but thats just the way life is going, not just in the UK, all over the world. I also think the parents are taking things to far with this. Posters for a lost teddy, really? special permission to take the teddy to school, really? at what age will that stop? I could go on all day as i have plenty of interesting comments that i could share with you, but i wont. To busy, I`m going up to Barnard Castle to rustle up some of the locals and start a Search party for George! :)[/p][/quote]I knew I'd turn you... You could always tell them there's a fiver attached to it - find it in no time! OK - micky taking stopped now - I meant kids in general, not just her, but I think we actually agree anyway![/p][/quote]Ha Ha! this is Barnard Castle we`re talking about, maybe make it a tenner! ;) Yes, i think we do agree! studio
  • Score: 1

9:21am Tue 29 Apr 14

MartinMo says...

Its hardly groundbreaking news, a kid looses a stuffed toy, take her to the toy shop, let her choose a new one which will soon become her favourite, problem solved.

You can let kids be kids without over molly cuddling them, just the other day I witnessed a mother wheeling a child of about 7 around in a toddler buggy which he had outgrown years previously. Totally shocking and pathetic, could not help but wonder if they still gave him a passifier (dummy) to suck on he he asked for one.
Its hardly groundbreaking news, a kid looses a stuffed toy, take her to the toy shop, let her choose a new one which will soon become her favourite, problem solved. You can let kids be kids without over molly cuddling them, just the other day I witnessed a mother wheeling a child of about 7 around in a toddler buggy which he had outgrown years previously. Totally shocking and pathetic, could not help but wonder if they still gave him a passifier (dummy) to suck on he he asked for one. MartinMo
  • Score: -2

9:32am Tue 29 Apr 14

Jonn says...

I think maybe some of the commentors on here lost their cuddly toy at 6 and were told to 'grow up' , explains their lack of empathy as an adult.
I think maybe some of the commentors on here lost their cuddly toy at 6 and were told to 'grow up' , explains their lack of empathy as an adult. Jonn
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree