UPDATE: Man found staggering on A66 after having penis cut off is now conscious

Police close a section of the A66 to search for the man's severed penis

Police close a section of the A66 to search for the man's severed penis

First published in
Last updated
Darlington and Stockton Times: Photograph of the Author by

A MAN who was placed in a medically-induced coma after suffering horrific mutilation to his groin and the loss of his penis is now conscious.

Officers visited the man in hospital this morning but were unable to carry out a detailed interview but hope to speak to him later today in a bid to establish how he came by his injuries.

The unnamed 40-year-old was rushed to hospital after being found "in a distressed state" staggering along the busy A66 at around 4.50am on Thursday morning, according to police.

The dual carriageway was closed for several hours while they carried out a fingertip search of the road and grass verge for the missing organ. Afterwards, Cleveland Police declined to say if the penis had been recovered.

It is believed that the incident could be connected to a traveller site near to the area of South Bank, Middlesbrough, where the man was found with serious injuries to his groin.

Police have identified the victim as a 40-year-old man from the South Bank area of the town.

Speaking yesterday, a force spokeswoman said: "Police can confirm that the man found on the A66 had wounds to his groin area.

“The road closures were required as part of the investigation into how the man received his injuries.

“This was necessary so that officers could look for anything which may shed light on how he became injured or his direction of travel. If the road was not closed any evidence could be lost or destroyed.

“Investigations are at a very early stage and we have not ruled out any line of enquiry. Officers are hoping they will be able to get more information when they speak to the injured man.”

The road closure caused severe tailbacks during the morning rush hour while the junctions between the Greystones Roundabout and Church Lane were sealed off by police cars or vans to enable officers to safely search the area.

A 22-year-old man arrested on suspicion of assault has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Anyone with any information or who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call Cleveland Police on 101 or alternatively call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800-555-111.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree