Prison warning for teen sex offender

Darryl Williams admitted his crimes at Newcastle Crown Court

Darryl Williams admitted his crimes at Newcastle Crown Court

First published in News
Last updated
Darlington and Stockton Times: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Derwentside & Tyneside)

A TEENAGER has been warned he could be jailed after he admitted a string of sex attacks on underage girls over three years.

Darryl Williams, 19, of Windsor Road, Redcar, has pleaded guilty to six offences against five girls between September 2009 and November 2012.

He was aged 14 to 17 while his victims were aged between 12 and 15 at the time of the offences.

Newcastle Crown Court today (Monday, March 10) heard he had pleaded guilty to three counts of sexual activity with a child, two counts of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child and one count of sexual assault.

One of the charges relate to him having sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old when he was aged 16 or 17.

Two relate to him performing sex acts on himself while aged 15 or 16 while chatting online with underage girls using a webcam.

Other charges relate to the sexual touching of his victims.

Williams had been due to stand to trial today for two of the charges, having previously entered guilty pleas to four others.

But, following discussions with his legal team, he entered guilty pleas and they have been accepted by the Crown.

Recorder Martin Bethel adjourned the case until April 3 when sentence will be passed at Newcastle Crown Court.

He said: “I am glad that you taken this course of action and avoided the need for these girls to give evidence in a trial.

“I am not making you any promises as to what the sentence ultimately will be.

“These are serious matters and it could well be that your liberty will be in jeopardy. All sentencing options will be open, including sentences that deprive you of your liberty, if that is what is felt to be appropriate.”

The court heard Williams has returned from working abroad to face the legal action against.

It is understood he has been working for a holiday firm in Turkey.

Nigel Soppitt, mitigating said: “He has come back from abroad to answer these charges.”

Williams has been granted conditional bail.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree