THE family of missing student Megan Roberts have thanked all those involved in the quest to find her after the uncertainty over her fate came to a tragic conclusion.

Police have now confirmed that a body recovered from the River Ouse near York was that of the 20-year-old, who went missing more than a month ago.

She was found in the river at Acaster Malbis on Sunday, some five miles downstream from the centre of York, where she went missing on January 23.

She disappeared after leaving the Popworld club with friends and the police investigation quickly established that she had probably entered the Ouse while affected by alcohol. However extensive searches of the swollen water initially failed to find her.

Originally from Wetherby, she was a student at York St John University and lived in the Clifton area of the city.

As the confirmation of her Megan’s death came through her mother Jackie Roberts said: “We would like to thank the police, fire service, and the public that have been involved in the search for Megan. We would also like to thank everyone who has offered support and comfort during this painful time.”

She added: “Megan was an intelligent, talented and beautiful person whose kindness and sense of humour will be greatly missed by everyone who knew and loved her.”

Her father Jason Roberts also thanked all those who had been involved in the searches and added: “Megan was a wonderful, kind and loving daughter who will be missed by many.”

Local police commander Superintendent Phil Cain said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Megan’s family at this extremely difficult and very sad time.

“Her family are receiving support from specially trained officers as they come to terms with what has happened.”

He added: “I hope that a small measure of comfort can be taken from the fact that Megan has now been found, albeit in the most tragic of circumstances, putting an end to the uncertainty about where she is and allowing her family and friends to grieve properly for her.

"I would like to thank the Missing People charity for their invaluable help and support during the investigation, and to members of the public and the residents of York who have phoned into the enquiry with information, their support is greatly appreciated.”